Gameday Central - CSU vs. Gardner-WebbOctober 15, 2010
By CSU Sports Information
Charleston Southern returns back home this weekend to face off against Gardner-Webb. The game will be broadcast live nationally on ESPN3.com from Buccaneer Field, with kickoff set for 1:36 p.m.
Buccaneer fans can listed to the game locally on WQNT 1450 AM, with pregame coverage beginning at 1 p.m. Free audio is also provided on the internet and over the phone through Teamline, allowing fans all over the world tune in to follow the Bucs. Fans listening on the internet can follow the link below, while those wishing to call in can access the broadcast by dialing 1-800-846-4700 and entering the team code 2942.
Saturday’s game will also be broadcast live online through ESPN3.com with Mark Bryant and Nate Ross calling the action. Finally, live stats will be provided by the CSU Sports Information department. All of the links can be found below.
Teamline Live Stats ESPN3.com
Even the record-setting performances by Charles James and Gerald Stevenson could not help CSU overcome five turnovers on the road at preseason favorite Liberty. Charles James finally broke the school mark with three interceptions in a game, after 11 people were able to pick off two in a game. Stevenson also broke through, returning his first kickoff for a touchdown, doing so in style with a Big South and NCAA record-tying 100 yard return, the longest allowed in college football. Stevenson earned NFPA Kick Returner of the Week honors, while James was named honorable mention Defensive Back of the Week by the same group. Bucs Unable to Overcome Turnovers in 44-20 Loss at Liberty
Gardner-Webb enjoyed an off week after suffering a 14-7 loss at Old Dominion on October 2. The seven points posted by the Runnin’ Bulldogs is the fewest this season as were the 203 offensive yards. GWU did hold the ball for 35:06 in the game, and converted eight of its 15 third-down opportunities, but could only find pay dirt one time. Gardner-Webb Drops 14-7 Decision at Old Dominion
You can find full game notes and the Big South weekly report at Game Notes Central
• Charleston Southern saw its four-game Big South winning streak snapped on the road at Liberty last weekend. The current two game overall losing streak is the longest since dropping games to Gardner-Webb and Liberty last season. The Bucs went on to finish the conference slate with four-straight wins.
• This is the 10th meeting between these two programs, who have traditionally played each other close. Gardner-Webb holds a 6-3 edge all time, but the past three meetings have all been decided by a touchdown or less. The Bucs have also won three of the last five meetings.
• Despite the loss last weekend, the Bucs had two players honored by the Big South in Gerald Stevenson and Charles James. Both were also honored by the CFPA. The duo became the fourth and fifth to earn CFPA awards in five weeks for CSU, while Stevenson was the first to earn national performer of the week honors. The other four (James twice, A.J. Toscano and Stevenson) have been honorable mention honors.
• Last week was the first bus trip of the season for the team. With five road games, CSU will take a bus to two of them (Liberty, Coastal Carolina), while flying to the other three (Hawaii, Stony Brook, Kentucky). It is the first time in school history that the team has flown to more road trips than bussed.
• Charles James tied the Big South record with three interceptions in the game, setting a new record at CSU. In the past two games (Hawaii and Liberty) James has five interceptions. He also set a career best with 10 tackles against Liberty. Gerald Stevenson also tied a Big South record with a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. It is the longest return possible in college football.