Game Day Central – Liberty at Charleston SouthernOctober 21, 2011
by CSU Sports Information
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Charleston Southern Buccaneers (0-6, 0-1 BSC) will look to challenge the Big South’s top-ranked Liberty Flames (4-3, 2-0) on Saturday afternoon in a televised contest at Buccaneer Field. Kickoff is set for 1:37 p.m. in Charleston.
This season marks the 19th all-time meeting between the two teams, with the Flames holding the 16-2 series advantage. The Flames also took last season’s meeting by a score of 44-20 in Lynchburg, Va. The Flames arrive in Charleston with the reigning BSC Offensive Player of the Week in quarterback Mike Brown. However the Bucs have their own ammunition in the form of defensive back Charles James, who picked off a school-record three passes against the Flames last season and remains one interception shy of tying CSU’s all-time record entering Saturday’s contest.
The game will be televised by the Flames Sports Network, with Mike Tilley providing play-by-play and Ray Jones adding color commentary. The Big South Network presented by State Farm will also carry the game on the internet. The Voice of the Bucs Kevin O’Rourke and Jon Davis will call that broadcast at www.BigSouthSports.com.
LIVE STATS | RADIO BROADCAST | INTERNET BROADCAST
- Saturday will be the 19th all-time meeting between the Flames and the Buccaneers, with Liberty holding the 16-2 advantage over CSU.
- LU Head Coach Danny Rocco is 5-0 vs. the Bucs, while CSU Head Coach Jay Mills is 2-7 against the Flames.
- Charleston Southern has earned just one win over Liberty on Buccaneer Field. They downed the Flames 31-30 on November 12, 2005 - the same season in which CSU won its first Big South Championship.
- The Bucs have averaged 15.7 points per game vs. the Flames, as opposed to LU’s 32.5 points per game.
- CSU’s largest margin of victory was 25 points when they earned a 25-0 win over the Flames in 2000. The largest margin of defeat was 42 points, when the Flames downed the Bucs 42-0.
- The last time the two teams met in Charleston, the Flames scored touchdown with 3:40 to go in the game to get the 20-13 win in 2009.
- DB Charles James picked off a school-record three LU passes last season.