CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern welcomes Virginia Commonwealth this weekend at the Ballpark as the Buccaneers host the Rams in a three-game series beginning on Friday night with first pitch set for 6 p.m. CSU and VCU continue play on Saturday at 4 p.m., while Sunday's finale is set for 2 p.m.
Live Stats for the weekend series will be available at CSUSports.com, while in-game updates will be provided on Twitter: @CSUGameDay
Probable Pitching Matchups – Charleston Southern vs. Virginia Commonwealth
Friday: RHP Wil Hartsell (0-1, 9.00 ERA) vs. RHP Michael Dailey (0-1, 16.20 ERA)
Saturday: RHP Kyle Dyson (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Sean Thompson (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Sunday: RHP Nik Constantakos (1-0, 1.23 ERA) vs. LHP Brooks Vial (0-1, 2.25 ERA)
- Charleston Southern is 2-1 after the first weekend of play as the Buccaneers took the season-opening series against Delaware State this past weekend. The Bucs won the final two games of the set to take their fourth opening series in the past five years.
- The Bucs open the season with their first 11 games at home before traveling to Florida International on March 9-11. Overall, CSU will host 29 games of the 54 game slate at the Ballpark with home series against Delaware State, VCU, Hofstra, Liberty, Gardner-Webb, Radford, Presbyterian and Air Force.
- The Bucs opening day lineup featured a blend of familiar and unfamiliar faces as CSU started six returners in the lineup. Newcomers Jason Miller (SS), Aaron Miller (1B), and Alex Andronica (3B) all made their debut in Bucs' lineup and the trio combined for seven hits, a double, a triple, and six RBI over the first three games.
- CSU also introduced a new face in the bullpen this weekend as Ryan Stoudemire made his season debut on the mound in game two of the weekend series with 3.0 innings of shutout relief for the Bucs against the Hornets.
- Cole German provided plenty of fireworks in CSU's first win of the season with the sophomore outfielder coming through with the walk-off solo home run in the bottom of the ninth in game two of the weekend series. It was the Bucs' first walk-off hit since the 2015 season.
About the Rams
Virginia Commonwealth was picked second overall in the Atlantic 10 baseball preseason poll announced ahead of the season. The Rams are two seasons off of an appearance in the 2015 NCAA Super Regional and return plenty of depth to the lineup and rotation, including All-Conference First Team selection Sam Donko and 2016 A-10 Rookie of the Year Michael Dailey. The Rams went 15-7 overall in A-10 play last season and posted a conference-best record 38-19 overall on the year.
Buccaneers against Virginia Commonwealth
Charleston Southern as a program has a lifetime 1-5 record against the Rams with the last matchup coming in the 2010 season. The Bucs opened the season at home against VCU in 2010 with a three-game series on February 19-21. VCU took the first two games of the series against the Bucs, while CSU took the series finale behind a strong performance by Tyler Thornburg (6 IP, 10 K) in the 5-2 win.
Last Weekend for VCU
Virginia Commonwealth opened the season with a tough task against No. 5 Florida State. VCU took the series opener against the Seminoles at Mike Martin Field at Dick Howser Stadium on Friday night behind a strong opening day performance by Sean Thompson (5 IP, 1 H, 6 K). Matt Jamer and Sam Donko followed with four no-hit innings as the Rams topped the Seminoles, 3-0, behind the dominant pitching. The Seminoles took the final two games of the series, 12-3 and 11-3, to take the.
Last Weekend for Charleston Southern
Charleston Southern bounced back from a tough opening day to take the series against the visiting Delaware State Hornets this past weekend. The Hornets took advantage of seven extra base hits in the opener to top CSU on Friday night. Timely hitting and a dominant collegiate debut by freshman Nik Constantakos helped pace the Bucs to the series win. Cole German connected on a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth on Saturday afternoon to lead the Bucs to the 3-2 win, while Constantakos went 7.1 innings in 78 pitches, striking out two in CSU's 3-1 Sunday win.
Bucs against the Atlantic 10
Charleston Southern posted a 5-1 record against the Atlantic 10 in the 2016 season and 6-3 overall in the last two years as the Bucs have found success at home against the conference. CSU swept the season series last year against Massachusetts with the Bucs winning both ends of the series-opening doubleheader on March 5 (3-1 and 7-2), while topping the Minutemen 12-8 in the finale. The Bucs followed up taking the first and third games on March 18-20 against George Washington, while falling in the middle contest, 10-5. La Salle took two of three from the Bucs in the 2015 season with CSU winning the first contest, 4-0, while falling in a 15-inning battle in the series finale.