CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern returns to the diamond on Wednesday night after a week off due to exams as the Buccaneers travel to Savannah State for a midweek non-conference matchup at the Tiger Baseball Field. First pitch between the Bucs and the Tigers is set for 5 p.m.
Live stats for the game will be available on the baseball schedule page on CSUSports.com, while in-game updates will be provided on the CSU Twitter account: @CSUGameDay
RHP Evan Nations (1-1, 7.71 ERA) vs. TBD
- Charleston Southern enters the Wednesday night game on a four-game winning streak after sweeping the weekend series against Radford and topping Wofford in their midweek matchup on April 25 in Lexington, S.C.
- It's the Bucs' second-longest winning streak of the 2017 season and longest stretch since CSU won six in a row back on February 25 – March 5 with back-to-back wins over VCU (two), a midweek victory over USC Upstate, and a weekend sweep over Hofstra.
- Charleston Southern's sweep over Radford two weekends ago was CSU's first conference home sweep since the 2015 season when the Bucs took three from Gardner-Webb at the CSU Ballpark on April 10-12.
- The Bucs' bullpen was dominant on the week as CSU's relief staff went 29.2 innings and allowed just seven earned runs and nine walks while striking out 37 batters in games against USC Upstate, Radford, and The Citadel
- Against Wofford last Tuesday, the Bucs' bullpen staff went one better as eight pitchers combined for a season-high 17 strikeouts with Evan Nations (2nd), Wil Hartsell (8th), and Cody Smith (9th) each striking out the side in their frames in CSU's 5-2 win over Wofford.
- The Bucs are currently in a three-way tie for fourth place overall in the conference standings heading into the week. CSU is 9-9 in Big South play on the year and tied with High Point and Gardner-Webb. The Bucs travel to High Point this weekend for a conference series.
About Savannah State
Savannah State has posted a 12-31 overall record in the 2017 season and a 3-15 mark in MEAC play on the year. The Tigers have posted an 11-14 record at the Tiger Baseball Field and picked up a win in their last home contest back on April 23 with a 16-11 decision over Florida A&M. SSU will host Jacksonville University on Tuesday night prior to their Wednesday game against the Bucs.
Who To Watch For
Jalen Atterbury continues to lead the Tigers' efforts on the season with a .325 batting average. Atterbury leads the team in runs scored (28), hits (49), doubles (11) and stolen bases (16). Turner Davis (3), Khalyd Cox (2) and Marcus Mitchell (2) have provided the power at the plate and lead the Tigers in home runs on the season. Kyle Gerdts is also among the hitting leaders with a .315 batting average.
Last Out for Savannah State
The Tigers have dropped four of their last five, including a midweek doubleheader sweep on the road last week at Western Carolina. Savannah State took the opener against N.C. Central this weekend by jumping out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning and cruising to the 12-7 win.
Last Time These Teams Met
Charleston Southern topped visiting Savannah State on March 29 at the CSU Ballpark as the Buccaneers held off the Tigers, 7-5. Daniel Johnson picked up the win in an extended relief appearance recorded five strikeouts in 2.1 innings of action on his way to quelling a Savannah State early rally. Ryan Stoudemire and Eddie Hiott pitched the Bucs out of jams before Cody Smith recorded his sixth save to close out the contest. The Bucs jumped out to a 4-0 lead early with Dan Vaughan providing the key two-run single in the bottom of the first to cap the CSU rally.
The Bucs' pitching staff continues to rank among the nation's best this season as CSU currently sits 10th overall in strikeouts per nine innings and 13th in strikeout-to-walk ratio on the season. As a staff, CSU averages striking out 9.6 batters per frame, while CSU's control rates among the leaders with a 2.98 strikeout-to-walk ratio on the year.