Friday, March 1, 2019
CSU vs. Notre Dame | 12 PM | Shipyard Park
CSU vs. Ball State | 4 PM | Shipyard Park
Saturday, March 2, 2019
Notre Dame vs. Ball State | 11 AM | Shipyard Park
Sunday, March 3, 2019
Ball State vs. Notre Dame | 11 AM | Shipyard Park
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The 2019 Swig & Swine Classic pits the Charleston Southern Buccaneers against Notre Dame and Ball State as all three teams face one another twice over the course of three days. Each team will also play at least two games at the newly built Shipyard Park in Mt. Pleasant and at least one game at CSU Ballpark.
The action starts Friday when CSU plays their lone twinbill of the weekend taking on Notre Dame at Noon and Ball State at 4 PM - both games being played at Shipyard Park.
Saturday and Sunday the 11 AM games between Notre Dame and Ball State will be played at Shipyard Park while the 4 PM games will take place at CSU Ballpark - home of the Bucs. Notre Dame will play their doubleheader Saturday while Ball State will play their twinbill Sunday.
Both contests on CSU's campus will be aired live on ESPN+ while live stats are available for all six games through CSUsports.com under the 2019 Swig & Swine Tournament Central page under baseball.
The Bucs take on Notre Dame for the first time in program history while they renew a series with Ball State that has seen a 4-1 advantage through the first five matchups. The Cardinals have also won three-straight in the head-to-head series with all five games coming in Charleston.
Scouting the Fighting Irish
- Notre Dame enters the weekend with a 2-5 record after falling in all three games at Arizona State and splitting a weekend with Eastern Michigan and Incarnate Word.
- Three Irish batters are hitting above .300 on the season led by Daniel Jung at .369 while Carter Putz is batting .353 and Eric Gilgenbach has a .308 average. Gilgenbach also accounts for 2 of Notre Dame's four home runs while driving in a team-high nine runs.
- The Irish have also seen a lot of success stealing bases going 7-of-9 through the first two weekends with Zack Prajzner swiping four of those.
- Pitching has been the downfall for Notre Dame so far with a team ERA of 7.50 and WHIP of 1.95 while surrendering 40 walks through 60.0 innings. Tommy Sheehan paces the rotation with a 2.79 ERA and 1-1 record across 9.2 frames.
Scouting the Cardinals
- Ball State also enters the Swig & Swine Classic with a 2-5 record after a 1-3 stay at the GCU Classic over Opening Weekend and 1-2 series at Alabama. The Cardinals opened the 2019 campaign with a 2-1 hard-fought loss to No. 12 Stanford before picking up a 10-6 win over CSU Bakersfield.
- The Cardinals are led offensively by their two batters above the .300 mark with Noah Navarro hitting .346 and Griffin Hulecki posting a .333 clip and team-best .481 slugging percentage and .838 OPS.
- Ball State's offense has been hot-and-cold so far scoring two-runs or less four times in 2019 but have also scored 5-plus runs in their other three contests. The Cardinals scored at least eight in both wins taking a 10-6 decision over CSU Bakersfield and 8-5 Saturday affair from Alabama of the SEC.
- Drey Jameson leads the starting rotation with a 4.50 ERA across 10.0 innings while Nick Floyd sports a 1.50 ERA out of the bullpen making two appearances over 6.0 innings. Jameson has punched out 18 batters while only walking four but has surrendered seven runs, all earned.