CLINTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern utilized a strong defensive presence and a key six-point swing by Phlandrous Fleming in the second half to pull away late from host Presbyterian College in the Bucs' regular season finale, 72-65.
CSU (15-14, 9-7 Big South) limited Presbyterian to 34.8% shooting in the game – 25.0% in the second half. The Bucs held the Blue Hose to just one three-pointer over the final 20 minutes in closing out the season sweep over PC.
Christian Keeling led all players with 25 points and added eight rebounds in the win. Fleming added 20 points and 10 rebounds for his third double-double of the season.
Adam Flagler led the Blue Hose with 16 points as Presbyterian finished with four players in double-digits in the scoring column. Cory Hightower (14), Kody Shubert (13) and Francois Lewis (11) all scored double-digts in the loss.
The Bucs and Blue Hose will await the release of the Big South Championship seedings by the conference office later this evening.
How It Happened
- Presbyterian went up 12-7 following a three-pointer from JC Younger to take the early two-possession lead over the Bucs with 14:43 to play in the first half.
- Christian Keeling responded with six consecutive points to put the Bucs in the lead capped by a three-pointer with 13:10 on the clock.
- The Blue Hose went up four on another Younger triple at the 10:22 mark to put the Blue Hose ahead 19-15.
- CSU rallied back with a 7-0 run capped by a Keeling breakaway dunk with 9:00 remaining in the first half to go back ahead 22-19.
- The Blue Hose went up by as many as six with 3:56 to play in the first half on a Shubert layup to stretch the PC lead to 34-28.
- The Bucs cut it down to one on Fleming's layup late as PC held the 39-38 lead at the half.
- PC scored the first seven points of the second half to build their largest lead in the game with 16:30 to play as Flagler converted a pair of free throws.
- The Bucs defense took over for the next four minutes as CSU went on a 9-0 run capped by a Shuler layup to take the lead at 47-46.
- The game remained within one possession until 2:40 left in the contest when Fleming took over from the floor.
- The sophomore guard converted a pair of layups and then followed up with a pair of free throws to put CSU ahead 65-57 with 1:08 to play.
- CSU's lead reached double-digits with 33 seconds remaining on a McConico free throw as the Bucs closed out the 72-65 win.
News & Numbers
- Charleston Southern could finish as high as the No. 5 seed pending the conclusion of the UNC Asheville-High Point men's basketball game.
- The Buccaneers started the year 1-4 in Big South play before rallying to close out the season with an 8-3 stretch on their way to finishing with a 9-7 record in conference play.
- Christian Keeling's 25-point game marked his 12th of the season and 33rd of his career.
- Phlandrous Fleming's 20-point, 10-rebound game was the second of his career.
- Fleming's 20-point game was his third 20-point effort of the year and sixth of his career.
- Keeling (1,571 career points) moved past Mario Salerni (1,557, 1965-69) into sixth all-time in the CSU career scoring rankings.
- The Bucs limited Presbyterian under 40.0% shooting from the floor – their fifth consecutive game limiting their opponents.
- Both teams combined to score one three-pointer (1-of-20) from the floor in the second half.
- CSU picked up their fourth consecutive win over the Blue Hose in the series.
Charleston Southern awaits the reveal of the Big South Conference Men's Basketball Championship seedings.