CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern makes the short trip up the road to Clinton, S.C. this weekend as the Buccaneers take on Presbyterian in a three-game Big South series on Saturday and Sunday at the PC Softball Complex. First pitch in Saturday's doubleheader is set for 1 p.m., while Sunday's series finale is slated to begin at 1 p.m.
The Bucs have taken three of their five Big South series this season, but will be looking to bounce back after a tough week as CSU has fallen in four of their past five games. The Bucs fell in two of three against Liberty, while dropping a pair to local rival College of Charleston.
Amanda Matsumoto has led the Bucs offense over the past several games on her way to leading CSU with a .429 batting average on the year with a team-high 18 stolen bases. Marci Christian leads the Bucs offense with 19 home runs.
Presbyterian took the series win over the Bucs last season, winning the final two games of the series with a 1-0 and 2-0 win at the CSU Softball Field. The Bucs took game one on ESPN3 with a 6-2 victory behind a strong pitching performance from Jennifer Giles and RBI doubles by Jessica Brock and Brooke Holcomb.
Winkler Against Presbyterian...
Head Coach Shane Winkler is 17-6 all-time against Presbyterian entering this weekend's series against the Blue Hose.
- Charleston Southern fell in the series to the Blue Hose last season, winning the first game on ESPN3, 6-2, while falling in the final two contest 1-0 and 2-0.
- Overall, the Bucs are 5-0 at the PC Softball Complex underneath head coach Shane Winkler, sweeping both games in 2013 and all three contests in 2010.
- Jennifer Giles went 9.0 innings in two appearances against the Blue Hose last season. The senior went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA, striking out eight.
- Jessica Brock led CSU's offense with a .333 batting average, while Georgi DeLio had two doubles on the weekend.
Winkler against the Big South...
The Buccaneers are 62-74 against the Big South Conference all-time under Winkler including winning the 2014 Big South Championship.
- CSU leads the all-time series against Winthrop, Presbyterian and Campbell.
- The Buccaneers hold the all-time series lead over the Eagles, 14-10.
- CSU leads the all-time series against Presbyterian dating back to the 2009 season, 17-6.
- With CSU's sweep over Campbell this season, the Bucs lead the series 11-8-1.
- CSU took series wins from Winthrop, Liberty and Gardner-Webb last season in Big South play with all three occuring on the road.
Scouting the Blue Hose...
Presbyterian enters the week with an 18-17 overall record, 7-6 in Big South play on the season. The Blue Hose have an 8-2 record at home and have recently come off a nine-game road trip with a win over S.C. State on April 9th.
- Presbyterian has recorded Big South series wins over Gardner-Webb and Radford and currently has a 1-1 record against Winthrop.
- Currently at home, the Blue Hose's only losses have come to East Tennessee State (March 11) and Gardner-Webb (March 17). PC is currently on a four-game home winning streak dating back to March 17.
- Jill McLean leads six players hitting over .300 on the season for the Blue Hose, hitting .385 from the plate. She also has 19 stolen bases on the season. Kersten Legacki and Erin Taylor both lead the team with six home runs on the season with Legacki leading the way with 25 RBI.
- Kensley Loudermelk leads five pitchers employed by head coach Britne Stubbs inside the circle with a 12-6 overall record and a 2.95 ERA.
The Last Five Games...
A lot can be told about a player and a team's last five games. The Bucs lineup is no exception with several players surging and excelling over the past five game stretch which includes games against CofC and Liberty.
- Amanda Matsumoto has led the Bucs offense on the last five games with a .529 batting average and two stolen bases. She also connected on her second triple of the season against CofC on Tuesday.
- Brook Richarson has also been hot at the plate for the Bucs over the past five games with four hits in 10 at-bats, while sitting second on the team with three runs scored.
- Stevi Johnson is the Bucs team leader with five RBI over the last five games while batting in the clean-up spot.
- Marci Christian connected on her 19th home run of the season against CofC on Tuesday afternoon.
- Jennifer Giles has been the primary force inside the circle over the past five games, making appearances in all five contests, including a shutout 5-0 win over Liberty on Saturday.
- Brittany McPherson hit .400 from the plate in a pinch-hitting role for the Bucs.