CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern split its two games on Friday at the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational as the Buccaneers topped Detroit Mercy in the opener, 10-2, before falling late to ETSU, 4-3.
The Bucs (4-5) utilized five extra-base hits, including Jade Gandara's first home run of the season, in run-ruling the Titans in the opener. Madison Koger homered in the second game and Gandara added a late two-run single, but the Bucs were unable to complete the comeback against ETSU.
Holly Clark (2-0) picked up her second win and her first complete game of the season in the opener against Detroit Mercy. The junior right-hander surrendered just three hits in the victory.
Game One: Charleston Southern 10, Detroit Mercy 2 (5 inn.)
Nina Del Rio connected on the walk-off single in the bottom of the fifth as the Buccaneers topped Detroit Mercy in CSU's opener in the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational.
Holly Clark went the distance surrendering just three hits and two runs while striking out three in the complete game victory. The junior pitcher faced just five batters over the minimum in the win.
Liz Murphy (1-2) suffered the loss after allowing six hits and five runs (two earned) in 2.2 innings. Erica Guerrero and Cami Sinclair went the final 1.2 innings in the circle.
How They Scored
- Gandara wasted little time in putting the Buccaneers ahead with a two-out solo home run to right centerfield on a 1-2 pitch from Murphy.
- The Titans battled back with two runs in the top of the second as Liz Paver's sacrifice fly brought home Alyssa Lang, while Emily Wagenbrenner scored on a double steal.
- The Bucs plated four runs in the bottom of the third to secure the lead with Bakenhus, Emberson, and Moore (two RBI) all driving in runs on RBI singles in the inning to put CSU ahead 5-2.
- Bakenhus and Emberson connected on a pair of RBI doubles in the fourth and Bakenhus scored on a double steal to stretch CSU's lead to 8-2.
- Koger connected on an RBI double to right center in the bottom of the fifth, before Del Rio's RBI single concluded the contest.
Game Two: ETSU 4, Charleston Southern 3
Charleston Southern's comeback fell short in the bottom of the seventh as the Buccaneers fell to visiting ETSU in the final game of the first day of the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational.
Jade Gandara connected on a two-out, two-run single scoring Annie Bakenhus and Destini Ewing in the bottom of the seventh to cut the margin down to one. After Caitlyn Emberson drew a walk to put two on, Taylor Boling (S, 1) closed out the ETSU win getting a popup to end the game.
Arizona Pilgrim (L, 1-5) went the distance in her team-leading fourth complete game of the season. The senior allowed seven hits and four runs while striking out eight.
MacKenzie Dyson (W, 2-0) went the first four innings allowing four hits and one run in the win. Boling went the final three innings in recording the save.
How They Scored
- Taylor Wright put ETSU ahead in the top of the first inning with a two-out, three-run double to left field scoring Kelly Warren, Lauren Lee, and Kylie Toler to stake the Bucs to the early 3-0 lead.
- Toler drilled an RBI single in the top of the second scoring Demi Coleman to extend the ETSU lead.
- Koger put the Bucs in the scoring column with a one-out solo shot to straightaway center field in the bottom of the second.
- Gandara's two-out, two-run single down the left field line scored Bakenhus and Ewing to cut the ETSU lead down to one, but that was as close as CSU was able to get in the loss.
News & Numbers
- Annie Bakenhus raised her team-leading batting average to .400 on the season following the first day of the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational. The senior outfielder leads the team with 11 runs scored.
- Sarah Brown continues to lead the team with 11 hits on the season.
- Jade Gandara and Madison Koger's home runs marked the second and third times CSU left the ballpark this season and tied with Caitlyn Emberson for the team lead on the season.
- Holly Clark leads the Bucs with two wins in the circle this season and has posted a 1.27 ERA on the year.
Charleston Southern continues the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational on Saturday as the Buccaneers host Virginia Tech (2:30 p.m.) and ETSU (5 p.m.) at the CSU Softball Field.