CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern struggled from the plate on Saturday afternoon as the Buccaneers fell in both games on the second day of the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational against East Tennessee State and Virginia Tech.
The Bucs (4-7) were topped by the Hokies in the opening game of the day, 4-0, before falling 12-0 to ETSU in the nightcap.
Game One: Virginia Tech 4, Charleston Southern 0
Holly Clark went seven innings in relief in the opening game of the day for the Buccaneers to highlight CSU's efforts against the Hokies. The junior pitcher scattered 10 hits and four runs (three earned) while striking out two in the loss.
How They Scored
- Emma Strouth connected on an RBI single up the middle scoring Darby Trull in the top of the third inning.
- Meredith Slaw's pinch-hit single in the top of the sixth scored Strouth to put Tech ahead 2-0.
- Lauren Duff and Strouth both added RBI in the top of seventh to provide the final margin.
Game Two: ETSU 12, Charleston Southern (5 inn.)
ETSU pushed five runs across in the first inning and Tiffany Laughren connected on a grand slam to highlight the final game of the day as Charleston Southern fell to the visiting team on the final game of the second day at the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational.
How They Scored
- Jordan Durbin's two-run double in the top of the first highlighted ETSU's five-run first inning.
- Kylie Toler and Taylor Wright both drove in runs in the top of the second inning to stretch ETSU's lead to 7-0.
- Lauren Lee's RBI single in the top of the third put ETSU ahead 8-0.
- Laughren's grand slam in the top of the fourth capped the ETSU scoring in the game.
Charleston Southern closes out the 2019 Wingate by Wyndham Invitational on Sunday afternoon with a 3:15 p.m. first pitch against Virginia Tech.