COLUMBIA, S.C. - Charleston Southern fell in the midweek contest to host No. 15/14 South Carolina at the Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field, 9-1, as the Buccaneers continued the 2019 season on Thursday afternoon.
Summer Moore paced the Bucs (4-9) with a 2-for-2 performance at the plate and drove in CSU's lone run of the game with an RBI single in the third to highlight the Bucs' offense. Holly Clark went four innings in relief as the Bucs dropped their lone contest against the Gamecocks in 2019.
Arizona Pilgrim (1-5) suffered the loss after pitching to the first two batters in the game. Clark went the next four surrendering 11 hits and seven runs (six earned), before Alyssa Heinrich closed out the game in the circle.
Dixie Raley (4-0) went the first three innings in picking up the win for the Gamecocks. She allowed four hits and one run while striking out five. Cayla Drotar went the final two innings in one-hit relief.
Jana Johns was the USC (8-2) leader at the plate with a 3-for-3 day that included two runs and two RBI. Mackenzie Boesel also added a 3-for-3 performance with a trio of RBI in the win.
How They Scored
- Drotar put the Gamecocks in the lead in the four-run inning with a bases-loaded single to highlight USC's bottom of the first.
- Summer Moore put the Bucs on the scoreboard with a two-out RBI single to right field scoring Brooklynn Brewington in the top of the third to narrow the margin to 4-1.
- Boesel stretched the Gamecocks' lead back to four runs with an RBI single to left scoring Johns in the bottom of the third.
- Johns' two-run triple brought home Lauren Stewart and Jordan Fabian in the bottom of the fourth to advance the lead to 7-1.
- Boesel and Kenzi Maguire both recorded RBI singles in the bottom of the fifth inning to close out the scoring.
News & Notes
- Annie Bakenhus connected on her team-leading fourth double of the season to lead off the game against the Gamecocks.
- Summer Moore's two-hit day improved her batting average to .310.
- Holly Clark recorded her fifth multi-inning relief effort of the season as the junior right-hander went four innings in the contest.
- Brooklynn Brewington picked up her seventh run scored in 2019 in the game.
- CSU turned its fifth double play of the season in the third inning as Madison Koger snagged a line drive up the middle and doubled off the runner at second with the throw to Destini Ewing.
CSU is back in action this weekend with the Holy City Showdown starting on Friday afternoon as the Bucs take on Dartmouth. First pitch is set for 4:30 p.m.