CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to overcome a late Dartmouth rally as the Buccaneers fell in their opening game at the Holy City Showdown on Friday afternoon, 5-3.
Caitlyn Emberson connected on her second home run of the season to power CSU's (4-10) offense in the game. Summer Moore and Sarah Brown both added two-hit games as well as the Bucs connected on seven hits in the contest.
Holly Clark (2-3) suffered the loss in the circle after going the first 5.2 innings. The junior right-hander allowed five hits and five runs while striking out two. Alyssa Heinrich went the final 1.1 innings in relief.
Shelby Wilkison (1-0) recorded her first win of the season for the Big Green as she went the first five innings and allowed five hits and three runs (two earned). Maddie Augusto surrendered two hits over the final two innings to record her first save.
Bryce West paced Dartmouth (1-1) at the plate with her two-run home run in the fourth giving the Big Green its first lead of the game. Calista Almer added a two-run single, while Tessa Grossman delivered an RBI triple to help the visitors' efforts.
How They Scored
- West drilled a two-run, one-out home run to left centerfield scoring Schae Nelson in the top of the fourth to give Dartmouth the first lead of the game.
- Caitlyn Emberson followed in the bottom half of the inning as the senior catcher drilled the 2-1 offering from Wilkison for a solo shot over the fence in straightaway center field.
- Summer Moore continued her clutch hitting for the Bucs this season as the junior first baseman connected on a two-run single in the bottom of the fifth scoring Annie Bakenhus and Brooklynn Brewington.
- Almer's two-run single tied the game up in the top of the sixth for the Big Green as she brought home Taylor Ward and Bryce West with the base hit up the middle.
- Tessa Grossman followed with a triple to right centerfield scoring Almer to put Dartmouth ahead 5-3 and provided the final margin.
News & Notes
- Emberson's solo home run was her team-leading second four-bagger of the season and the 29th of her career with the Buccaneers.
- Moore's two-hit game was her second multi-hit game in as many days and her fourth multi-hit game of the season as she raised her batting average to .344 on the season.
- Sarah Brown's two singles ties the sophomore infielder for the team hits lead with Annie Bakenhus with 13 apiece.
Charleston Southern is back home for day two of the Holy City Showdown this weekend as the Buccaneers host UMass Lowell (2:30 p.m.) and Marshall (4:45 p.m.) at the CSU Softball Field on Saturday afternoon.