CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to overcome a tough outing as the Buccaneers fell in a Tuesday doubleheader to USC Upstate, 1-0, and 6-1.
The Buccaneers (8-25, 2-3 Big South) tied with the Spartans (23-6, 5-0 Big South) with 11 hits apiece, but the Bucs were unable to muster an extra-base hit in the pair of losses.
Game One: USC Upstate 1, Charleston Southern 0 (Highlights)
USC Upstate took advantage of an early sacrifice fly on their way to top the Buccaneers in the first game on Tuesday's doubleheader, 1-0.
Arizona Pilgrim (5-13) went the distance in the circle in the loss as the senior surrendered only two hits in the contest. The Taft, Calif. native gave up nine walks while striking out two in the complete-game effort.
Christina Biggerstaff (14-1) surrendered just three hits and walked five in the complete game shutout. The Upstate ace struck out five in the win.
How They Scored
- Alyssa Oakes put the Spartans on the scoreboard in the top of the first inning as Upstate took advantage of Price's leadoff double to take the 1-0 lead.
- Charleston Southern threatened in the first, sixth, and seventh innings with runners on base, but was unable to get the clutch hit in the loss to the Spartans.
Game Two: USC Upstate 6, Charleston Southern 1 (Highlights)
Alyssa Oakes provided the difference in the game with a pair of home runs, including a grand slam in the Spartans' five-run fifth, as the Buccaneers fell in the second contest of the doubleheader, 6-1.
Oakes, Madison Lanoux, and Alicia Dorgan all recorded multi-hit games on Tuesday afternoon in the second game of the doubleheader. Brittany Case added an RBI for the Spartans.
Erin Hill (8-5) went the distance for the Spartans with the left-hander surrendering eight hits and striking out seven in the win.
How They Scored
- Alyssa Oakes put the Spartans on the scoreboard in the top of the fourth with a solo home run to give USC Upstate the 1-0 lead.
- Brittany Case connected on an RBI single scoring Savannah Grigsby in the top of the fifth, before Oakes cleared the bases with her second home run of the game to put the Spartans ahead 6-0.
- Sarah Brown took one back in the bottom of the sixth as the sophomore third baseman singled back up the middle scoring Jade Gandara.
Charleston Southern continues the Big South home series with the Spartans tomorrow afternoon with first pitch at the CSU Softball Field set for 1 p.m.