CHARLESTON, S.C. - Sarah Brown connected on the walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh inning scoring Christi Takac as Charleston Southern topped visiting USC Upstate in the Big South series finale on Wednesday afternoon, 5-4.
Caitlyn Emberson sparked the CSU (9-25, 3-3 Big South) rally in the seventh inning with a one-out single down the left field line off Erin Hill (5-5). Christi Takac came in to run and advanced to second on Summer Moore's base hit back up the middle. Following a fielder's choice that put runners on the corners, Brown delivered the game-winning base hit scoring Takac to set off the CSU celebration on the field.
Brown capped off her 4-for-4 day from the plate to pace the CSU offense. The sophomore third baseman finished with two runs scored and a stolen base, to go with her game-winning RBI. Megan Gagliano added a 2-for-2 performance from the plate, while Rhiana Hubbard scored twice.
Arizona Pilgrim (6-13) went the distance in picking up her third Big South win of the season. The senior right-hander surrendered nine hits and four runs while striking out two.
Sarah Price and Brittany Case had two hits apiece to pace the Spartans (23-7, 5-1 Big South) in the loss. Price connected on USC Upstate's lone extra-base hit, a triple, while Case scored two of the Spartans four runs.
Hill went the final 4.2 innings in relief in picking up the loss. The left-hander surrendered seven hits and three runs (two earned) in relief of starter Christina Biggerstaff.
How They Scored
- USC Upstate took the early lead in the top of the first inning as Makenna Helton and Megan Obier both singled in runs to put the Spartans ahead 2-0.
- The Bucs responded in the bottom of the second as Rhiana Hubbard doubled home Sarah Brown before Hubbard scored on Nina Del Rio's RBI groundout to tie the score up at 2-2.
- Upstate went back ahead in the third as Alicia Dorgan singled in Savannah Grigsby to put the Spartans ahead 3-2.
- CSU took the lead in the bottom of the fourth as Brown scored on Gagliano's bunt single before Hubbard crossed the plate on Annie Bakenhus' sacrifice fly to put the Bucs ahead 4-3.
- USC Upstate tied the game up in the top of the seventh as Obier scored Case on a sacrifice fly to straightaway center field.
- Brown's RBI single back up the middle scored Takac for the game-winning run in the bottom of the seventh.
News & Notes
- Charleston Southern is 3-3 over the first two conference series as the Buccaneers took the 2-1 mark from Radford while salvaging the series finale on Wednesday over USC Upstate.
- Meghan Gagliano picked up her first multi-stolen base game of the season with a pair of steals on Wednesday against the Spartans.
- The Bucs picked up four steals overall in the game with Sarah Brown recording her team-leading ninth coming this afternoon.
- Rhiana Hubbard finished up with a double and her first collegiate home run in the series against the Spartans to highlight her first week of starting in center field for the Bucs.
- Arizona Pilgrim went the distance in her eighth complete game of the season.
Bucs Win in the Walk-Off
Charleston Southern is back on the road as the Buccaneers embark on a 13-game road trip starting on March 23-24 in Buies Creek, N.C. against Campbell. The Bucs will take on the camels in a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon starting at 1 p.m., before closing out the series on Sunday at 1 p.m.