BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Campbell topped Charleston Southern in both games of Saturday's doubleheader as the Camels took advantage of walk-offs in both games to pick up the 9-1 and 9-6 wins over the Bucs.
Game One: Campbell 9, Charleston Southern 1 (6 inn.)
Campbell jumped ahead early and took advantage of five extra-base hits in topping the Buccaneers in the first game of the doubleheader on Saturday afternoon, 9-1.
Claudia Ware went 3-for-3 from the plate to lead four Campbell hitters recording multi-hit games in the contest. Bri Bryant added a home run and three runs scored, while Megan Mozingo and Kayla Fredendall both drove in two runs apiece.
Megan Richards (9-6) went the distance allowing four hits and an unearned run, while striking out two in the complete game win.
How They Scored
- Bri Bryant put the Camels in the lead in the bottom of the first with a solo home run to give Campbell the early 1-0 lead.
- Megan Mozingo and Kayla Fredendall both posted a pair of RBI doubles in the third inning to highlight the three-run frame and put Campbell ahead 4-0.
- Mozingo added another RBI in the fourth with a run-scoring single scoring Ware to put CU ahead 5-0.
- Madison Koger scored CSU's lone run in the top of the fifth as the sophomore touched the plate following a Campbell throwing error.
- Campbell added three more runs in the bottom of the fifth with Avery Wheatley putting in the final run of the inning with an RBI single to put CU ahead 8-1.
- Cassie Wancheck brought home the final run scoring Bryant after getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to end the game.
Game Two: Campbell 9, Charleston Southern 6 (8 inn.)
Campbell took advantage of a pair of key home runs in the final two innings with Megan Mozingo's three-run shot in the bottom of the eighth proving the different as the Buccaneers dropped the second game of the doubleheader, 9-6.
CSU scored four runs in the top of the sixth to take the 6-5 lead with Annie Bakenhus' RBI single giving the Bucs their first lead of the day. Campbell's Kynadi Tipler responded with a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh to send the game into extra innings.
After the Bucs went down in the top of the eighth, Mozingo came through with Campbell's third home run of the game as her three-run shot scored Bryant and Ware to key the Camels to the win.
Arizona Pilgrim (6-15) suffered the loss. After re-entering the game in the bottom of the eighth. The senior went 4.2 innings overall in the game, allowing nine hits and six runs. Holly Clark went 2.2 innings and allowed two hits and three runs.
Megan Richards (10-6) took her second win of the day in relief for the Camels. She went the final 2.2 innings allowing three hits and an unearned run in relief of Haley Hutchins. Hutchins went the first 5.1 innings in the no-decision.
How They Scored
- Bryant put Campbell ahead with a two-run single in the bottom of the second scoring Ware and Christa Hall to give CU the 2-0 lead.
- Bakenhus and Gandara tied the game up in the top of the third as the senior duo both connected on RBI singles in the inning to knot the score at 2-2.
- Morgan Rios connected on a three-run home run scoring Tipler and Fredendall in the bottom of the fifth to put Campbell ahead 5-2.
- The Bucs responded with four runs in the sixth with Caitlyn Emberson, Rhiana Hubbard, Nina Del Rio, and Bakenhus all driving in runs to put the Bucs ahead 6-5.
- Tipler's solo home run in the bottom of the seventh tied the game up at 6-6.
- Mozingo's three-run shot ended the game in the bottom of the eighth.
Charleston Southern and Campbell conclude the weekend series on Sunday afternoon with first pitch of the finale set for 1 p.m.