BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Charleston Southern took the series finale on Sunday afternoon as the Buccaneers topped Campbell on the road at Amanda Littlejohn Stadium, 5-2.
Rhiana Hubbard connected on her second home run of the season in the bottom of the fourth and added an RBI single in the sixth to pace CSU (10-27, 4-5 Big South) to their fourth conference win of the season. Brooklynn Brewington and Sarah Brown added two-hit games for the Bucs as CSU out-hit Campbell (15-16, 7-2 Big South) 11-8 in the game.
Arizona Pilgrim (7-15) picked up her fourth win in conference play this season as the senior right-hander surrendered four hits in 4.2 innings of relief work on Sunday. The Taft, Calif. native surrendered one run and struck out three in the win. Holly Clark went the first 2.1 innings allowing four hits and a run while striking out two in the no-decision.
Avery Wheatley paced Campbell with a two-hit outing on Sunday afternoon. Abby Perryman and Wheatley both recorded doubles, while Kayla Fredendall added a home run.
Megan Richards (10-7) suffered the loss after going the first 3.2 innings in the circle, allowing seven hits and four runs while striking out two. Lexy Head and Haley Hutchins went the remaining 3.1 innings allowing four hits and a run.
How They Scored
- Jade Gandara connected on the two-out, two-run double in the top of the third inning driving in Annie Bakenhus and Brooklynn Brewington to put CSU ahead 2-0.
- Kayla Fredendall put the Camels on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third with a one-out solo home run to right center field to narrow the CSU lead to 2-1.
- Rhiana Hubbard added to the CSU lead in the top of the fourth as the freshman outfielder connected on her second home run of the season driving in Sarah Brown to put the Bucs ahead 4-1.
- Hubbard drove in Brown in the top of the sixth inning with a two-out RBI single to left center to add to the CSU lead.
- Abby Perryman doubled home Avery Wheatley in the bottom of the sixth for Campbell's final run of the game.
News & Notes
- Hubbard homered for the second time in eight days as the freshman outfielder continues to excel in her starting spot in center field.
- The freshman outfielder is second on the team with two home runs, tying with Madison Koger with two home runs on the season.
- Jade Gandara picked up her seventh double of the season and her 17th and 18th RBI of the year against the Camels.
- Sarah Brown raised her average to .308 on the season, becoming the third Buccaneer to crack the .300 batting average mark on the year.
- Arizona Pilgrim has won all four Big South games in the circle for the Buccaneers this season following her relief appearance on Sunday.
- Pilgrim has been the workhorse in the circle for the Bucs this season pitching in each of the last 10 games and 14 of the last 15.
Charleston Southern is back on the road this week as the Buccaneers head to Clinton, S.C. and Presbyterian College for a doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch at the Blue Hose Softball Complex at Young Park is set for 2 p.m.