CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to overcome a pair of strong starts from Gardner-Webb on Thursday afternoon as the Buccaneers fell in both games of the doubleheader, 3-0 and 8-3.
CSU (16-33, 10-10 Big South) was unable to bounce back after giving up quick starts in both games to the Gardner-Webb (28-22, 7-13 Big South) at the CSU Softball Field.
Game One: Gardner-Webb 3, Charleston Southern 0
Gardner-Webb put three runs across the plate in the top of the first sparked by Andria Booth's leadoff inside-the-park home run to help the Runnin' Bulldogs to the series-opening win.
Annie Bakenhus connected on CSU's lone hit of the game, a single to lead off the top of the fourth inning, to pace the Bucs' offense. Rhiana Hubbard drew a walk against GWU starter Brooke Perry to join Bakenhus on the base paths.
Arizona Pilgrim suffered the loss in the circle after allowing all three batters she faced to cross the plate. Holly Clark went 7.0 innings in relief and posted a career-high nine strikeouts while surrendering two hits.
Perry struck out 12 in the complete-game effort in the win to pace the Runnin' Bulldogs.
How They Scored/Key Situations
- Andria Booth led off the game with a solo home run through the right side of the infield with the ball rolling the fence and putting the Runnin' Bulldogs ahead 1-0 early.
- Jenna Wacaster and Brooke Perry added RBI hits later in the first inning to put Gardner-Webb ahead 3-0.
- Clark retired 17 batters in a row at one point and faced just three batters over the minimum in her longest relief outing of the season.
Game Two: Gardner-Webb 8, Charleston Southern 3
Gardner-Webb put together four early runs and then Callie Thorton and Weslyn Almond added home runs in the top of the sixth to help the Runnin' Bulldogs take the second game of the day.
Almond, Thornton, and Annamarie Warley had two hits apiece for the Runnin' Bulldogs. Almond and Kaylee Wacaster drove in two RBI and scored two runs each in the win.
Holly Clark suffered the loss in the circle after going 0.1 innings and allowing three runs. Alyssa Heinrich went 4.2 innings in relief, while Arizona Pilgrim and Emily Visnic closed out the final two innings in the circle.
Reah Barger went the first 4.1 innings in picking up the win allowing seven hits and three runs (two earned). Brooke Perry picked up the save after finishing up the game with 2.2 innings of one-hit relief.
How They Scored/Key Situations
- Kaylee Wacaster and Jenna Wacaster both brought home RBI in the top of the first inning as Gardner-Webb took the early 3-0 lead.
- Meredith Ferguson's sacrifice fly to centerfield in the top of the third scored Kaylee Wacaster to put GWU ahead 4-0.
- The Bucs struck back with two runs in the bottom of the third as Annie Bakenhus scored on Jade Gandara's fielder's choirce, while Caitlyn Emberson crossed the plate on a GWU fielding error to right field.
- Gandara cut the Gardner-Webb lead down to one at 4-3 with a run-scoring grounder scoring Bakenhus in the bottom of the fifth.
- Thornton's solo home run in the top of the sixth inning sparked a four-run frame with Almond (two-run HR) and Annamarie Warley's RBI double providing the final margin in the game.
Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb close out the series on Saturday afternoon with a single game set for 2 p.m. at the CSU Softball Field. The game is slated to be streamed live via ESPN3.