Sunday, November 12
Charleston Southern vs. Lipscomb
Buccaneer Field House - Charleston, S.C.
2 p.m. - Big South Network
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern opens its 2017-18 season on Sunday against Lipscomb at the Buc Dome. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. with the game streamed live on the Big South Network.
A young roster for CSU will be put to the test early on as the Bucs welcome seven newcomers on this year's squad. Charleston Southern returns two of its top three scorers from last season, including Big South preseason All-Conference second-team selection Ke'Asia Jackson. Junior guard Rachel Burns also returns after a standout sophomore campaign.
Jackson led the Buccaneers in multiple categories in the 2016-17 season, including points per game (15.0), field goal percentage (41.2%), and free throw percentage (82.2%). Burns was third in the Big South last season in steals per game (2.1) and seventh in the league in offensive rebounds per game (2.4). She was third at CSU in averaging 10.9 points per game.
Lipscomb is coming off an 85-69 defeat at College of Charleston on Friday. Senior guard Loren Cagle, a 2017-18 Atlantic Sun Preseason All-Conference selection, led the Bisons in the season opener with 16 points and six assists. Cagle and Loshaveon Jones lead Lipscomb in rebounds per game (6.0).
CSU is 1-0 all-time against Lipscomb with the Bucs picking up a 67-52 win over the Bisons in the only meeting on Nov. 26, 2016. Senior guard Alyssa Mann led CSU with 19 points.
News and Notes
- CSU won its last season opener in the 2014 season when the Bucs defeated Trinity Baptist 98-35 on Nov. 25, 2014.
- Charleston Southern has won its last ten home openers. The last time the Bucs lost a home opener was on Nov. 13, 2006 to Jacksonville, 105-66.
- CSU performed well at home in 2016-17 with a 12-5 record at the Buc Dome.
- Charleston Southern's seven newcomers (Weknyne Dumorne, Skyler Hatfield, Cailah Hicklin, Kailya Jackson, Njeri Nelms, Kelsie Ruff-Mills and Shelby Wilbanks) could all make their season debuts with the Buccaneers on Sunday against the Bisons.
- CSU was picked sixth in the 2017-18 Big South Conference preseason poll conducted by Big South head coaches and a media panel.
- Senior guard Shauntavia Dobson is the only senior on the roster this season.
- The Bucs' originally scheduled season-opener with Columbia International has been postponed to Dec. 13 at the Buc Dome.
- Charleston Southern opens the season with three straight games at the Buc Dome.
CSU continues its season-opening homestand when the Bucs host Toccoa Falls on Thursday at 7 p.m. The final home game is set for Monday, November 20 at the Buc Dome as CSU hosts Coppin State.