CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern used a strong second half including an 11-0 run to open the fourth quarter as the Buccaneers defeated Longwood, 73-57, in the Big South opener on Tuesday at the Buc Dome.
CSU improves to 6-6, 1-0 following the win, while Longwood fell to 2-10, 0-1 with the loss. Weknyne Dumorne led three Bucs in double-figures with a career-high 16 points. Njeri Nelms scored 14 points, while Lexii Cassell added 11 points in the win.
CSU held a solid 13-3 advantage in second-chance points and scored 21 points off the bench as the Bucs used their depth to their favor. A back-and-forth first half saw CSU take an 11-9 lead following Shauntavia Dobson's second three-pointer of the game. Longwood cut the lead to 18-14 after Kate Spradlin's three-pointer closed the scoring in the first frame.
Shelby Wilbanks knocked down a jumper to give CSU a 28-19 lead with 5:13 to go in the second quarter. A 7-2 Longwood run trimmed the margin to 30-26 before Anna Webster's put back at the buzzer gave the Bucs a six point halftime advantage.
CSU opened the third period in a fury as the Bucs scored seven straight points capped off by a Nelms trifecta to put CSU ahead 39-26 with 6:14 left. Ke'Asia Jackson's three-pointer gave CSU a 44-32 lead with 3:40 to go in the period. Nelms continued the barrage with a trey to put CSU ahead 53-41 at the end of the third stanza.
The Bucs picked up where they left off in the fourth quarter as a spirited 11-0 run gave CSU a 64-41 lead. Charleston Southern used solid defense down the stretch to secure the win in the Big South opener.
Inside the Numbers
- Weknyne Dumorne scored 12 of her career-high 16 points in the first quarter. Dumorne shot 6-8 from the field and 4-5 from the free throw line.
- Njeri Nelms scored 14 points, while adding six rebounds and two assists.
- Lexii Cassell scored all 11 of her points in the second half. She had six rebounds and a team-high two blocks.
- CSU held a 35-25 rebounding advantage.
- The Bucs had a distinct 36-20 scoring advantage in the paint.
- Charleston Southern scored 28 points off turnovers compared to Longwood's 18 points.
News and Notes
- CSU has now won four of its last five games.
- The Bucs won their Big South opener for the second time in the last three seasons.
- CSU has defeated Longwood in six straight contests.
- Charleston Southern has had at least three players score in double-figures in five straight games.
CSU returns to action when it travels to play at Liberty on Saturday. Tipoff at the Vines Center is set for 1 p.m. on ESPN3.