CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern continues Big South play on Tuesday as the Buccaneers travel to play at UNC Asheville. Tipoff between the Bucs and the Bulldogs is set for 7 p.m. on the Big South Network.
CSU (10-13, 5-7) is coming off a 74-57 defeat at Radford on Saturday. Despite a season-high 19 points from Ke'Asia Jackson, the Bucs were unable to overcome a well-balanced Radford attack with four Highlanders scoring in double-figures.
Saturday's loss was the first in the last four games for CSU head coach Fred Applin and his squad. He realizes that his team still has a lot to work on and improve as it hits a tough stretch in conference play.
"We just have to go back and look at film," Applin said. "We have to correct some things in transition and the post area that hurt us at Radford. We can't allow that to happen at UNC Asheville if we want to have a chance to win."
UNC Asheville (12-11, 9-3) is fresh off a 78-59 win over High Point on Saturday. Bronaza Fitzgerald had a double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds as the Bulldogs recorded their seventh straight road win.
Fitzgerald leads Asheville in scoring with 13.6 points per game, while Khalia Webb is averaging 13.3 points per contest. Fitzgerald ranks first in the Big South in rebounds per game (9.7), while Webb paces the team with 2.8 assists per outing.
The Bulldogs have won four of the last five contests with CSU, including a 78-61 victory over the Bucs earlier this season on January 23. It was the largest margin of defeat for CSU in conference play this season.
Inside the Numbers
- Tuesday's game could turn into a high-scoring affair as it features the league's second ranked scoring offense in CSU, averaging 64.0 points per game, against UNC Asheville's third ranked scoring offense with 63.8 points per game.
- The Bucs' lone senior Shauntavia Dobson ranks seventh all-time at CSU with 117 three-pointers made. Dobson leads the Bucs this season in three-pointers made (43) and is shooting a solid 39.4% from behind the arc.
- CSU ranks second in the Big South with 13.0 offensive rebounds per game, while UNC Asheville is third with 12.8 offensive boards per contest.
- Two of the league's top post players square off when CSU's Weknyne Dumorne faces Asheville's Bronaza Fitzgerald. In conference play, Dumorne leads the Big South with a 64.6% field goal percentage, while Fitzgerald ranks third at 57.9%. Fitzgerald is first in league action with 11.1 rebounds per game, while Dumorne comes in at second with 9.0 boards per contest.
- Tuesday's game pits the Big South's second-best three-point field goal percentage team in UNC Asheville (34.7%) against the league's second-best three-point field goal percentage defense in Charleston Southern (27.8%).
News and Notes
- CSU is 31-35 in the all-time series against UNC Asheville.
- The Bucs have lost four straight against the Bulldogs on the road with CSU's last win in Asheville coming on February 7, 2013.
- CSU is 3-8 away from the Buc Dome this season.
- Charleston Southern sits in a four-way tie for fifth place in the Big South standings with Campbell, Presbyterian and Gardner-Webb. The top six seeds earn a first round bye in the Big South Women's Basketball Championship on March 8-11 at Liberty in Lynchburg, Va.
CSU returns to the Buc Dome for a matchup with Gardner-Webb on Saturday at 3 p.m.