CHARLESTON, S.C. – Junior center Jasmine Blackmon had another 10-point day and had eight rebounds, but Davidson used a strong stroke from beyond the arc to down the Charleston Southern women's basketball team 72-34 Sunday from the Buc Dome.
CSU (1-1) saw another strong defensive performance from senior Weknyne Dumorne, who had four blocks and two steals in her 30 minutes of action, but it wasn't enough to slow down Davidson's (2-0) .382 mark from the floor and .324 from deep.
Blackmon's 10 points paced the Bucs as Davidson had three players in double figures – Katie Turner with 19, Sarah Donovan had 14 and Kianna Speight added 13 more.
The Bucs struck first on a nifty step-back jumper from Shelby Wilbanks, but an 18-1 run from Davidson to end the first quarter set the tone and jumpstarted their hot shooting.
How It Happened
- Davidson used a an 18-1 to close the first quarter shooting .471 from the floor and turning seven CSU points into seven points on the other end.
- CSU responded with a 12-point second frame in the second, but the Wildcats pulled away for a 40-15 halftime lead.
- Davidson also outdid the Bucs in points in the paint (24-16), points off turnovers (21-9), second chance points (12-1) and fast break points (8-2).
- Davidson ended both halves with 20-point quarters scoring 22 in the second and 20 in the fourth.
What They're Saying
News and Notes
- Jasmine Blackmon made it back-to-back games with 10 points to open the season. She came just two boards shy of a double-double leading the Bucs with her 9.5 boards per game through two contests.
- Weknyne Dumorne added another four blocks on the day, bringing her team-leading total to nine.
- CSU got to the line 20 times Sunday, collecting 16 more chances than Davidson.
- CSU fell to 1-1 when scoring first on the season.
Play of the Game
Charleston Southern hits the road for the first time in 2018-19 as they take on regional foe South Carolina State Friday night at 6 p.m. in Orangeburg. The Bucs look to take a game on the road after the Bulldogs escaped with a two-point win from the Buc Dome last season.