CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Charleston Southern women's basketball team fell in their Big South opener Saturday to newcomer Hampton 74-66 despite a season-best 18 points from Breannah Bretches and a near double-double from senior guard Rachel Burns.
After the Bucs (3-9, 0-1 Big South) grabbed a fourth-quarter lead on the heels of a 9-0 run, Hampton (5-7, 1-0 Big South) used a 17-6 spurt of their own over the final 6:31 to escape the Buc Dome with a win in both teams' conference opener. The matchup was just the second all-time between the two programs after CSU took the first meeting in 1995.
Bretches and Burns were joined in double figures by Weknyne Dumorne's 11 points but it wasn't enough to match the game-high 22 from Hampton's Ashley Bates and the Pirates' four players in double figures. Bates entered the contest as the second-leading scorer in the Big South and made it back-to-back games with 20-plus points.
Meanwhile, Bretches extended her double figures streak to three-straight and came just one basket from tying a career-high mark. Both Burns and Dumorne came within a rebound of double doubles finishing the afternoon with nine apiece.
Trailing only 69-63 with under a minute to play, CSU had a chance to make it a one-possession game thanks to five missed Hampton free throws, but fell just shy.
How It Happened
- Hampton took a high-scoring first half lead and held a margin as large as 11, but CSU cut into the deficit thanks to a .470 percentage from the floor and eight steals.
- Ashley Bates scored 17 of her game-high 22 points in the opening half thanks to a fast start and 10 first-quarter tallies. She led the way for a Hampton team that shot .408 as a whole and scored 46 of their points in the paint.
- After a slow start to the second half that saw four Hampton fouls in the first 1:30, CSU roared to a 15-9 close setting up a tight finish down the stretch.
- Hampton missed five free throws in the final minute of the game, but CSU only hit two of their final 14 attempts allowing the Pirates to ice it and escape with a win.
News and Notes
- Bretches made it three-straight games in double figures and scored a season-best 18 – just one triple shy of a career-high. She added two steals and three rebounds in the loss. Bretches becomes the sixth different Buccaneer to lead the squad in scoring.
- Burns added 12 points and a season-best nine rebounds as she inches closer to the 1,000 point mark. Burns now sits just 23 from the milestone with three contests in the next six days.
- CSU won the battle in points off turnovers, fast break and bench points, but a 46-32 margin in points in the paint proved to be enough for the Pirates.
- Saturday was the first time the Bucs fell when outrebounding an opponent this season as they pulled down 47 with 21 coming on the offensive end.
CSU hits the road for the first time in Big South play as they head to Winthrop Tuesday night to begin a stretch that sees three games in five days. Tipoff from Rock Hill is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN+