CHARLESTON, S.C. – Paced by a 22-point, 11-rebound double-double effort from Shelby Wilbanks, the Charleston Southern women's basketball team defeated Gardner-Webb 66-58 Tuesday from the Buc Dome in Big South action.
Wilbanks' second career double-double headlined a CSU (10-16, 7-8 Big South) offense that saw 14 from Breannah Bretches and near-double figure nights from Ahlea Myers (nine points) and Rachel Burns (eight points) while the defense held the Runnin' Bulldogs (14-14, 8-8 Big South) to just .288 from the floor.
The Buccaneer defense showed up early holding Gardner-Webb to just 19 first-half points, including seven in the first 10 minutes, while pulling down 43 rebounds and holding the Runnin' Bulldogs to just .227 from beyond the arc.
Gardner-Webb had a late rally scoring 26 in the final quarter, but the Bucs posted 23 points of their own to prevail and collect their fifth Big South win of the month.
How it Happened
- CSU's defense showed up early holding the Runnin' Bulldogs to just seven points in the opening stanza and clamped down to hold them to just .288 shooting on the night.
- The Bucs added on to their lead with a 16-point second quarter and 30-19 lead after 20 minutes.
- Wilbanks scored 10 of her game-high 22 and nine boards in the opening half and the CSU defense held the Runnin' Bulldogs to just six field goals while forcing eight turnovers.
- Gardner-Webb responded with a 13-point third and 26 in the fourth, but the Bucs built a 14-point lead late to hold-off any rally and collect a big win.
- Gardner-Webb saw three players finish in double figures led by 13 from both of the Plentovich twins (Carley and Savannah) and had 10 more from Ky'Asia Stanford.
- Breannah Bretches scored nine of her 14 in the second half to help the Bucs close out the contest.
News and Notes
- Shelby Wilbanks became the third Buccaneer with a double-double this season joining Jasmine Blackmon and Ke'Asia Jackson.
- Tuesday was also the second time Wilbanks scored 20-plus points matching the 22 she posted in a win at USC Upstate.
- Both Wilbanks and Bretches have led the Bucs in scoring in Big South play with Wilbanks averaging 12.7 points and Bretches adding 12.1 per game.
- Tuesday marked the second time this month the Bucs held a Big South foe below .300 from the floor after doing so at Presbyterian to open February.
- CSU also jumped ahead of Winthrop for the No. 7 slot in the Big South standings and are just one game out of fifth behind only Gardner-Webb and Campbell.
CSU heads to UNC Asheville Saturday for a possible season sweep and sixth win over their past eight contests. The Bucs snapped a Bulldog six-game streak the last time they played and look to become just the third team to win inside Kimmel Arena this season. Tipoff Saturday is set for 2 p.m. on ESPN+.