ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Jordan Newman scored a pair of first half goals to power Charleston Southern to a 3-0 win over UNC Asheville in the Big South opener for both teams on Saturday at the Greenwood Soccer Field.
The Bucs improved to 3-5-1 overall while the Bulldogs dropped to 4-5-1.
How They Scored
- Newman scored just three minutes into the game, putting on a run through the middle off a feed from Jazzin Clark and beating Bulldog goalkeeper Bryson Lee to the top right corner of the net.
- Newman added her second goal in the 19th minute with Sidney Doherty credited with the assist.
- The Bucs rounded out the scoring in the 59th minute when Motley scored her first career goal on an assist from Grace Clark.
Inside the Numbers
- UNC Asheville held a 13-11 advantage in shots and 6-5 in shots on goal. Both teams had five corner kicks.
- Newman posted the third two-goal game of her career. She also scored twice against South Carolina State earlier this season and Campbell a year ago. Newman has 11 goals and 25 points in her career, both tops among current Bucs.
- Dellacqua increased her career save total to 173 and is two shy of passing Molly Shawcross for sixth in school history.
News and Notes
- CSU improved to 14-15-2 all-time against UNC Asheville and has won nine and tied one in the past 12 meetings.
- The Bucs' last Big South road win was also in Asheville in 2013.
- The last time CSU won its first conference road contest came in 2012 with a victory at Gardner-Webb.
Quoting Eric Terrill
"It's hard to get a conference win on the road, especially the first game when everyone is pumped up, and I'm excited about this outcome. We've been working really hard and everything we've done during the preseason and early in the regular season has been pointing toward a result like this. It's my hope that we maintain this throughout the conference season.
The Bucs play a pair of Big South games next week at the CSU Soccer Field. CSU hosts Presbyterian on Wednesday at 4:00, and Gardner-Webb visits next Saturday at 1:00.