CHARLESTON, S.C. - Longwood converted a free kick into the only goal of the game as the Lancers dealt Charleston Southern a 1-0 setback in a Big South contest Saturday at the CSU Soccer Field.
The Bucs, who entered the game tied for fourth in the Big South with Longwood, dropped to 4-6-2 overall and 2-2-1 in the conference. The Lancers are 8-4-2 and 3-1-1 in league play.
How They Scored
- Janese Quick took a free kick from just outside the box and beat Alyssa Dellacqua to her right in the 63rd minute.
- Dellacqua made two outstanding saves in the 83rd and 86th minutes to keep it a one-goal margin and give the Bucs a chance at the end.
Inside the Numbers
- Longwood held a 16-15 edge in shots including 11-4 in the second half. Both teams had six shots on goal.
- Dellacqua had five saves while Longwood goalkeeper Maria Kirby had six. Kirby recorded her Big South-leading seventh shutout of the year.
- Sidney Doherty had two of CSU's shots on goal
News and Notes
- Longwood defeated CSU for the sixth straight time and increased its lead in the all-time series to 10-4.
The Bucs play road games at current Big South co-leaders Campbell (Wednesday) and Liberty (Saturday) before returning home to face Winthrop on October 18.