SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Freshman Erin Rush provided the offense, and the Charleston Southern defense withstood an 18-shot attack to give the Buccaneers a 1-0 victory over Wofford in their season opener on Sunday.
How It Happened
- In the 21st minute, Rush collected a loose ball just to the right of the goal and chipped it past Wofford keeper Mayson Liner and a pair of defenders for her first career goal.
- The Bucs had a golden opportunity in the opening minute when Sidney Doherty had a 1-on-1 chance, but Liner was able to come out and make a play on the ball.
- The CSU defense lived up to its preseason billing, blocking several shots and getting seven saves from senior Jazmin Gonzalez. The back line of seniors Grace Clark, Taylor Francis and Emilie Gilbert and sophomore Juliana Barbaccia played the full 90 minutes.
- Gonzalez made five of her saves in the second half with the final one coming with just two minutes remaining to preserve the victory.
Inside the Numbers
- The Bucs finished with five shots and two on goal. Senior Addie Bokelman had three of the five attempts with one being on goal.
- Wofford took five corner kicks to one for CSU.
- An aggressive CSU attack resulted in nine offside calls.
News and Notes
- In addition to Rush, freshmen Maddie Reilly and Grace Gompers earned their first career starts while newcomers Dakota Fiedler, Isabelle Mathews, Mason Pinkerton, Riley Rumbley and Emily Kifer saw action off the bench.
- Gonzalez made her first start since September 18, 2016 against Vermont. She was on the roster last season but did not see game action.
- The Bucs increased their advantage in the series with Wofford to 5-2-1 and are 3-1 all time in Spartanburg.
Quoting Eric Terrill
"I feel like we played great in the first half and probably should have finished a couple of goals. We did not attack as well in the second half, but once again our defense came up big. We have a lot of new combinations in the attack this year, and it will just take some time to gel."
Play of the Game
Player of the Game - Jazmin Gonzalez
CSU plays its home opener next Sunday with a 1 p.m. game against Mercer.