CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Charleston Southern split the first two matches of the season on the first day of the Duckworth Doubleader as the Bucs fell to Clemson, 7-0, before bouncing back to top UNC Wilmington in the late afternoon contest, 4-0, at the Charlotte Indoor Tennis Center.
The Bucs improved to 1-1 following the season opening matches with one to play in Charlotte tomorrow morning. CSU takes on Appalachian State in the final match of the weekend at 10 a.m.
Clemson 7, Charleston Southern 0
Charleston Southern was unable to record a point on the season opener at the Duckworth Doubleheader's opening match against Clemson as the Buccaneers fell 7-0 to the Tigers at the Charlotte Indoor Tennis Center.
Clemson swept all three doubles matches, and then followed up with straight set wins on all six singles courts to improve to 1-0 on the season. The Bucs fell to 0-1 on the year with the loss.
CU's Sydney Riley and Constanza Gorches topped the CSU duo of Filippa Ericson and Valeria Koussenkvoa on court no. 2 to open doubles play, 6-2. Daniela Ruiz and Laura Marti topped the Bucs' Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner on court no. 3, 6-4.
Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man, playing in their first competition as teammates this spring took on the top Clemson duo on court no. 1. Marie-Alexandre Leduc and Fernanda Navarro held off a spirited CSU effort on the top court in taking the 7-5 win.
The Bucs fell in straight sets on all six singles courts with Kimberley Koerner last off the court following her tough 6-4, 6-4 defeat to Gorches on court no. 5.
1. LEDUC, Marie-Alexand/NAVARRO, Fernanda (CU-W) def. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 7-5
2. RILEY, Sydney/GORCHES, Constanza (CU-W) def. ERICSON, Filippa/KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) 6-2
3. RUIZ, Daniela/MARTI, Laura (CU-W) def. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-4
1. LEDUC, Marie-Alexand (CU-W) def. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) 6-1, 6-1
2. RILEY, Sydney (CU-W) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-2, 6-2
3. SCHROEDER, Tate (CU-W) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-4, 6-0
4. NAVARRO, Fernanda (CU-W) def. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) 6-4, 6-3
5. GORCHES, Constanza (CU-W) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-4, 6-4
6. RUIZ, Daniela (CU-W) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 6-2, 6-1
Charleston Southern 4, UNC Wilmington 0
The Buccaneers swept all three doubles matches before wins on singles courts 1, 3, and 5 closed out the afternoon in CSU's 4-0 win over the Seahawks.
Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner opened play with a 6-0 shutout win on doubles court no. 3 to open play on the afternoon. Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man secured the Bucs' first point with a 6-3 win over Madara Straume and Sabrina Barisano.
In singles play, Cloessner, Ericson, and Koerner all recorded their first singles wins of the season against the Seahawks. Koerner was first off the courts with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Rachel Marthinsen on court no. 5. Cloessner battled through a tough first set prior to winning the 7-6 tiebreaker against Straume. She followed up with a 6-1 win in the second frame to put the Bucs ahead 3-0.
Ericson halted play across all courts with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Horn on court no. 3 to secure the CSU 4-0 win.
Michelle Schmitz had a 3-0 lead over Lea Dubois-Rebiere on court no. 6 when play was halted.
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. STRAUME, Madara/BARISANO, Sabrina (UNCW) 6-3
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. HORN, Sarah/MATUTE, Celeste (UNCW) 6-4
3. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. THOMPSON, Thai/RAVINDRAN, Rashika (UNCW) 6-0
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) def. STRAUME, Madara (UNCW) 7-6, 6-1
2. FOUGNER, Xandra (UNCW) vs. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) no result
3. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. HORN, Sarah (UNCW) 7-5, 6-3
4. MATUTE, Celeste (UNCW) vs. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) no result
5. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. MARTHINSEN, Rachel (UNCW) 6-4, 6-1
6. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) vs. DUBOIS-REBIERE, Lea (UNCW) 3-0, unfinished
News and Notes
- The 7-0 defeat to the Tigers marks the second consecutive season the Bucs fell to Clemson to open the regular season. Last season's loss ended a five-year winning streak in CSU's season opener.
- It was the first time since the 2011 season that CSU suffered a 7-0 defeat in the season opener, with the previous coming on January 22, 2011, at North Carolina State.
- Three different Buccaneers made their CSU spring debuts in the match against the Tigers with Filippa Ericson (singles & doubles), Madalina Man (singles & doubles), and Michelle Schmitz (singles) all taking the court this afternoon.
- Ericson picked up her first singles win against the Seahawks, while Man's doubles win with Cloessner against UNC Wilmington helped secure the Buccaneers' first point of the match.
CSU continues the 2018 season in Charlotte tomorrow morning as the Buccaneers take on Appalachian State at 10 a.m. in the Charlotte Indoor Tennis Center.