CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Appalachian State took four of the five completed singles matches to hold off Charleston Southern on Sunday morning at the Charlotte Indoor Tennis Center at the Duckworth Doubleheader, 4-2.
In a rematch between the two teams since last season, four different singles matches went into the deciding third set on Sunday morning. Valeria Koussenkova took the lone CSU point on court no. 4 with a 5-7, 6-2, 6-0 win, but the Mountaineers rallied to top the Bucs on courts 2, 3, 5, and 6, to complete the win.
The Buccaneers fell to 1-2 on the season following the loss to the Mountaineers. App State improves to 2-1 with the win.
CSU took the doubles point for the second time this season with wins on courts 1 and 3 to head into singles action with the early 1-0 lead.
Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man topped Heidi Swope and Maria Jose Zacarias, 6-2, for the Bucs' first victory of the contest. App State's Melissa Machado and Teodora Sevo evened the score with a 6-1 win over Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner on court no. 3.
Koussenkova and Filippa Ericson swung the point in the Bucs' favor with a 7-5 win on court no. 2 to send the match to singles play.
Sevo tied the match for the Mountaineers on court no. 2 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Man. CSU fell behind 2-1 as Taylor Bygrave topped Ericson on court no. 3, 6-3, 6-3.
Koussenkova's three-set win on court no. 4 stemmed the Mountaineers' run to even the score at 2-2 as the senior from Barcelona, Spain topped Swope.
Unfortunately, the Bucs were unable to ride the momentum as Michelle Schmitz fell on court no. 6 to Melissa Machado, 2-6, 6-0, 7-5. The Mountaineers stopped play with Morse's 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win over Koerner on court no. 5.
The match on court no. 1 between CSU's Cloessner and App State's Zacarias went unfinished with the duo battling in the third set.
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. SWOPE, Heidi/ZACARIAS, Maria Jose (APP) 6-2
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. GASKINS, Emily/ANGLESJO, Sandra (APP) 7-5
3. MACHADO, Melissa/SEVO, Teodora (APP) def. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-1
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) vs. ZACARIAS, Maria Jose (APP) 7-5, 6-7, 0-2, unfinished
2. SEVO, Teodora (APP) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-2, 6-3
3. BYGRAVE, Taylor (APP) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-3, 6-3
4. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) def. SWOPE, Heidi (APP) 5-7, 6-2, 6-0
5. MORSE, Rebecca (APP) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6. MACHADO, Melissa (APP) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 2-6, 6-0, 7-5
News and Notes
- The Bucs fall to 1-2 following the first weekend of play for the 2018 season. It marks the second consecutive season the Bucs have dropped two of their first three matches of the season after the Bucs fell to Clemson and UNC Wilmington last season.
- Valeria Koussenkova picked up her first singles win of the season to move to 1-1 overall on the year. Her match last night against UNCW went unfinished following the Bucs' clinching victory.
The Bucs take a month-long hiatus before continuing the 2018 spring season. CSU will take on South Carolina and North Florida on February 24-25 in Columbia.