CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern ran its home winning streak to 16 consecutive matches as the Buccaneers outlasted visiting UNC Greensboro on Friday afternoon at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex, 4-3.
CSU (6-3) took two of the three doubles matches and picked up singles wins on courts 2, 3, and 4 on their way to recording their fourth consecutive victory in 2018. UNC Greensboro (3-5) falls for the third consecutive match despite a late rally with a trio of wins in singles play following the Bucs' clinching win on court no. 3.
Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner put the Bucs in the driver's seat in doubles play with a 6-2 win on court no. 3 over UNCG's Sophie Adams and Emily Ory. Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man followed shortly afterward with a 6-2 win on court no. 1 over Alice Taylor and Corinne Blythe to give the Bucs the early 1-0 lead.
Koussenkova bounced back in singles play with the veteran senior putting the Bucs ahead 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Taylor on court no. 2. Man followed shortly afterward with a 6-3, 6-4 win as the freshman rallied winning three consecutive games to close out the match on court no. 4 over Boaz.
Ericson secured the CSU victory with the Stockholm, Sweden native taking a difficult 7-5 win in the first set before topping Blythe 6-1 in set two to clinch CSU's fourth team point of the match.
Bridges started the UNC Greensboro rally on court no. 1 as she ended Cloessner's five-match winning streak with a 6-3, 7-5 win. Adams added the Spartans' second point of the match with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win over Koerner on court no. 5.
Gomez ended play on court no. 6 over CSU's Michelle Schmitz with a 7-6, 6-3 win on court no. 6.
Charleston Southern 4, UNCG Women's Tennis 3
Mar 09, 2018 at Charleston, S.C. (Buccaneer Tennis Complex)
1. Nancy Bridges (UNCG-W) def. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) 6-3, 7-5
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) def. Alice Taylor (UNCG-W) 6-0, 6-0
3. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. Corinne Blythe (UNCG-W) 7-5, 6-1
4. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. Blaine Boaz (UNCG-W) 6-3, 6-4
5. Sophia Adams (UNCG-W) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
6. Brianna Gomez (UNCG-W) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 7-6, 6-3
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. Alice Taylor/Corinne Blythe (UNCG-W) 6-2
2. Nancy Bridges/Blaine Boaz (UNCG-W) def. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-4
3. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. Sophia Adams/Emily Ory (UNCG-W) 6-2
UNCG Women's Tennis 3-5
Charleston Southern 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)
News & Notes
- Friday's win snapped CSU's two-match streak of sweeping the doubles point as UNC Greensboro took the match on court no. 2.
- Madalina Man now boasts the Bucs' longest active singles winning streak with the freshman winning her last four matches on court no. 4.
- Filippa Ericson (5-3) and Valeria Koussenkova (5-2) both join Sophie Cloessner (5-2) as the first Bucs to five singles wins this season
Charleston Southern makes its first road trip in Big South Conference play this week as the Bucs travel to Campbell on Monday, March 12, and Presbyterian on Wednesday, March 14.