BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. - Charleston Southern ran its winning streak to six matches in a row as the Buccaneers topped Gardner-Webb on the road on Sunday afternoon, 5-2.
The Bucs (8-3, 4-0) picked up their fourth Big South win of the season thanks to CSU taking the doubles point against the Runnin' Bulldogs, as well as singles wins on courts 1, 2, 3, and 6. Gardner-Webb (2-9, 0-3) recorded wins on singles courts 4 and 5 in the loss.
Kimberley Koerner and Yana Morar opened play with a doubles win on court no. 3 to start off the afternoon. The doubles duo topped Daniela Naupari and Paula Romero, 7-5, to be the first ones off the court. Valeria Koussenkova and Filippa Ericson followed shortly afterward with a 7-5 win on court no. 2 over Sarah Rieckmann and Valentine Limauge.
Sandra Bolstad and Miljana Ristic picked up Gardner-Webb's lone doubles win on court no. 1 as the Runnin' Bulldogs duo topped CSU's Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man in the tiebreaker. The Bucs fell 7-6 (7-1) to close out doubles competition.
Koussenkova put CSU ahead 2-0 at the start of singles play as the senior topped Rieckmann on court no. 2, 6-1, 6-3.
Limauge put the Runnin' Bulldogs on the board with a singles win on court no. 5 topping Koerner, 6-3, 6-2.
Morar put another win in the CSU column as the junior topped Romero on court no. 6, 6-3, 6-3. Cloessner followed shortly after to secure the Buccaneer win with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Bolstad on court no. 1.
Ericson secured CSU's final point of the match on court no. 3 as the junior rallied back from a 6-1 first set defeat to win in the third set tiebreaker. Ericson took the second set over Ristic, 7-5, and then won the tiebreaker 10-5 for the Bucs' fifth point of the match.
Naupari took the final point of the day with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 win over Man on court no. 4.
Charleston Southern 5, Gardner-Webb University 2
Mar 18, 2018 at Boiling Springs, N.C. (GWU Tennis Courts)
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) def. BOLSTAD, Sandra (GWU18W) 6-2, 6-3
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) def. RIECKMANN, Sarah (GWU18W) 6-1, 6-3
3. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. RISTIC, Miljana (GWU18W) 1-6, 7-5, 10-5
4. NAUPARI, Daniela (GWU18W) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
5. LIMAUGE Valentine (GWU18W) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-3, 6-2
6. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) def. ROMERO, Paula (GWU18W) 6-3, 6-3
1. BOLSTAD, Sandra/RISTIC, Miljana (GWU18W) def. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 7-6 (7-1)
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. RIECKMANN, Sarah/LIMAUGE Valentine (GWU18W) 7-5
3. KOERNER, Kimberley/MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) def. NAUPARI, Daniela/ROMERO, Paula (GWU18W) 7-5
Charleston Southern 8-3
Gardner-Webb University 2-9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,6,1,3,4)
News & Notes
- Filippa Ericson boasts the team's current longest singles winning streak following her three-set win on Sunday afternoon.
- Ericson and Sophie Cloessner lead the Bucs with seven wins apiece on the season and matching 4-0 records in Big South Conference play.
- Yana Morar lined up in singles play for just the fourth time in dual match play and her first match since March 2. Morar bounced back from a pair of losses to record her second singles win of the season.
Charleston Southern faces a quick turnaround for the fourth time this season as the Bucs will be back on the courts again tomorrow afternoon. CSU travels to Buies Creek, N.C. and the Nisbet Tennis Center on Monday to take on Campbell. First serve set for 2 p.m.