BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Charleston Southern's six-match winning streak came to an end on Monday afternoon as the Buccaneers fell in Big South play at the Nisbet Tennis Courts to Campbell, 4-3.
The Bucs fell to 8-4 on the season, 4-1 in Big South play with the loss. Campbell improves to 8-6, 4-1 in conference play following the win.
CSU fell in the doubles point, but rallied back with singles wins on courts 1, 2, and 5. Valeria Koussenkova and Kimberley Koerner battled through tough three-set wins to help the Bucs fight their way back into the match, while Sophie Cloessner topped Campbell's Ana Castillo on the top singles court.
Campbell utilized wins on two of the three doubles courts and singles wins on courts 3, 4, and 6, to secure the win over the Bucs.
The Camels opened play with a 6-3 win on doubles courts no. 3 with Lou Regen and Lea Cutura topping CSU's Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner. Alexandra Andrivot and Isabel Boada topped CSU's Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man on court no. 1, 7-5, to secure the doubles point.
Alexandra Nicoara opened singles play with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Man on court no. 4 to put Campbell ahead 2-0. Segarra followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Morar on court no. 6 to put the Camels ahead 3-0.
Koussenkova put the Bucs on the board in a third-set win over Andrivot on court no. 2. The Barcelona, Spain native won the first set, 6-1, but dropped the second frame 6-2 to send the match into the third frame. Koussenkova rallied back with a 6-3 win to put CSU's first point on the board.
Cloessner followed shortly after with her eighth win of the season on court no. 1. She topped Castillo in a tough straight-set match, 7-5, 7-6, to pull CSU back within 3-2.
Regen clinched the match for the Camels with a three-set win over Ericson on court no. 3. Regen took the opening frame, 6-1, before Ericson rallied back with a 6-2 win in the second set. Ericson was unable to complete the comeback as Regen took the deciding set, 6-3.
Koerner completed the match with a tough three-set win on court no. 5. The Wedel, Germany native opened the match with a strong 6-0 win in the first set against Boada. Boada took the second frame, 6-4, to even play. Koerner rallied back with the 7-6 win in the final set to close out the match.
Campbell 4, Charleston Southern 3
3/19/18 at Buies Creek, N.C. (Nisbet Tennis Center)
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) def. CASTILLO, Ana (CAM) 7-5, 7-6
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) def. ANDRIVOT, Alexandra (CAM) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
3. REGEN, Lou (CAM) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
4. NICOARA, Alexandra (CAM) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-3, 6-1
5. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. BOADA, Isabel (CAM) 6-0, 4-6, 7-6
6. SEGARRA, Georgina (CAM) def. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) 6-3, 6-2
1. ANDRIVOT, Alexandra/BOADA, Isabel (CAM) def. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 7-5
2. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. CASTILLO, Ana/SEGARRA, Georgina (CAM) 6-4
3. REGEN, Lou/CUTURA, Lea (CAM) def. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-3
Charleston Southern 8-4, 4-1 Big South
Campbell 8-6, 4-1 Big South
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,2,1,3,5)
News & Notes
- Sophie Cloessner boasts the longest active singles winning streak for the Bucs after topping her opponent on court no. 1. Her streak reaches three following her win on Monday.
- Filippa Ericson's singles streak came to an end with her three-set loss to the Camels on Monday.
- The Bucs lost the doubles point for just the fourth time this season in Monday's loss.
Charleston Southern hosts Liberty on Saturday afternoon as the Bucs continue Big South play at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex. First serve in doubles play against the Flames is set for noon.