ROCK HILL, S.C. - No. 4 Charleston Southern dropped a 4-2 decision to No. 5 Presbyterian in the Big South Women's Tennis Championship quarterfinal round as the Buccaneers season came to an end on Thursday afternoon.
The Bucs (11-8) dropped the doubles point, but utilized singles wins on courts no. 1 and no. 5 to fight their way back into the match. However, Presbyterian was able to hold off the late CSU charge with the deciding third-set wins on courts no. 6 and no. 3 to advance to Friday's semifinal round at the Rock Hill Tennis Center.
The Blue Hose took the early 1-0 lead following doubles play as PC won on courts no. 2 and 3. Tracy Johnson and Caroline Ferrari topped CSU's Valeria Koussenkova and Filippa Ericson, 6-1, on court no. 2. PC's Beth Taylor and Brittany Nuttall topped Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner, 6-2, on court no. 3 to halt play on court no. 1.
In singles action, Cloessner put on a clinic in the final match of her CSU career. The three-time All-Conference First Team selection won in dominant fashion topping Nuttall 6-1, 6-0 to even the overall match up at 1-1.
Johnson swung the point back in the favor of the Blue Hose with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Koussenkova on court no. 2.
The remaining four matches all went into the third set with CSU rallying back on courts 3, 4, and 6 to force the extra frame.
Koerner took the opening set on court no. 5 over Ferrari, 6-3. The PC athlete rebounded with a 6-3 win in the second frame to force the third set. Koerner took control late and closed out the 6-4 win to even the match at 2-2.
Katie Thompson swung the advantage back in PC's favor for the final time topping Michelle Schmitz on court no. 6, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
Play was halted following Calais' three-set win over Ericson on court no. 3, 7-6 (7-1), 4-6, 6-2.
Man was in the midst of a huge comeback on court no. 4 when the match was called. After rebounding from a 6-4 loss in the first set to take the 6-1 victory in set two, Man trailed 5-1 late in the third set. The Second Team All-Conference athlete captured four consecutive games to rally back and shift the momentum before play was called.
#5 Presbyterian 4, #4 Charleston Southern 2
04/19/2018 at Rock Hill, S.C. (Rock Hill Tennis Center)
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) def. Brittany Nuttall (PC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Tracy Johnson (PC) def. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) 6-2, 6-4
3. Samantha Calais (PC) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 7-6 (7-1), 4-6, 6-2
4. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) vs. Beth Taylor (PC) 4-6, 6-1, 5-6, unfinished
5. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. Caroline Ferrari (PC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. Katie Thompson (PC) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. Demi Henschel/Samantha Calais (PC) 5-2
2. Tracy Johnson/Caroline Ferrari (PC) def. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-1
3. Beth Taylor/Brittany Nuttall (PC) def. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,2,5,6,3)
2018 Big South Women's Tennis Championship Quarterfinals
Presbyterian advances to semifinals
News & Notes
- The Buccaneers move to 1-1 all-time in postseason play against the Blue Hose following Thursday's loss. The teams previously met in the 2017 quarterfinal round with CSU topping PC, 4-0.
- Sophie Cloessner finishes her decorated career with the Bucs with a 51-10 overall record in singles play and 25-3 in Big South play. She was also 46-21 all-time in doubles with a 22-6 conference record.
- Valeria Koussenkova wraps up her career with the Bucs with a 42-17 overall singles record and 20-5 mark in conference action. She was also 31-14 in doubles play with a 15-5 Big South mark.