SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Charleston Southern's women's tennis team rallied to take four of the six singles matches on Saturday afternoon to claim their first Big South win of the season with the 4-3 victory over host USC Upstate.
Madalina Man, Michelle Schmitz, Kimberley Koerner, and Tiffany Pyritz were all victorious in singles action at the USC Upstate Tennis Complex to improve the Bucs' record to 1-4 on the season and 1-0 in Big South play. USC Upstate fell to 1-6 overall, 0-1 in conference play with the loss.
USC Upstate held the early 1-0 lead following doubles competition. The CSU duo of Kimberley Koerner and Filippa Ericson took the opening 6-2 win on court no. 3 over Upstate's Gabriela Cevallos and Ana Boza.
Upstate rallied back with wins on courts no. 1 and 2 to take the point. CSU's Yana Morar and Tiffany Pyritz fell to Elin Hellberg and Victoria Saldh, 6-3, on court no. 2, while Vale Zarama and Maria Jardim topped Madalina Man and Liz Williams, 7-5, on court no. 1.
Singles play swayed back to the Bucs as the Bucs quickly evened the score.
Schmitz tied up play on court no. 3 with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Noelia Acuna to even the match at 1-1. Saldh swung the advantage back to the Spartans with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Ericson on court no. 1.
Man and Koerner followed up and put CSU ahead, 3-2, following their straight-set wins on courts 2 and 4. Man topped Jardim, 6-4, 6-3, while Koerner defeated Zarama, 7-6, 6-2.
Hellberg provided Upstate's final point of the day on court no. 6 with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Williams.
All attention turned to court no. 5 for the deciding win and CSU's Pyrtiz delivered. The freshman topped Boza in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6, to secure CSU's win.
Charleston So. 4, USC Upstate 3
Feb 16, 2019 at Spartanburg, S.C. (USC Upstate Tennis Complex)
1. SALDH, Victoria (UPSTW) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-1, 6-3
2. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. JARDIM, Maria (UPSTW) 6-4, 6-3
3. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) def. ACUNA, Noelia (UPSTW) 6-2, 6-0
4. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. ZARAMA, Vale (UPSTW) 7-6, 6-2
5. PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. BOZA, Ana (UPSTW) 6-2, 7-6
6. HELLBERG, Elin (UPSTW) def. WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) 6-4, 6-4
1. ZARAMA, Vale/JARDIM, Maria (UPSTW) def. MAN, Madalina/WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) 7-5
2. HELLBERG, Elin/SALDH, Victoria (UPSTW) def. MORAR, Yana/PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) 6-3
3. KOERNER, Kimberley/ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. CEVALLOS, Gabriela/BOZA, Ana (UPSTW) 6-2
Charleston So. 1-4, 1-0 BSC
USC Upstate 1-6, 0-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)
News & Notes
- Saturday's match marked the first singles wins of the season for Koerner, Man, Schmitz, and Pyritz.
- The doubles duo of Ericson/Koerner improved to a team-best 2-3 on the season.
"We definitely have faced a lot of adversity at the beginning of the season playing against some very tough teams. I'm very proud of how we bounced back today and the way we fought out there. We did a great job controlling the intangibles and finding a way to win under pressure. We will take confidence from this win and look forward to our first home match on Saturday against UNC Wilmington." - Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu
Charleston Southern makes its home debut next Saturday as the Buccaneers welcome UNC Wilmington to the Buccaneer Tennis Complex. First serve is set for 1 p.m.