CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern won all but one match in singles in their 6-1 home win over Savannah State on Saturday afternoon.
The Buccaneers (8-7, 5-3) quickly swept the doubles matches over the Tigers (1-12) with a 6-3 win by Madalina Man and Tiffany Pyritz on court one. Femcke van Rensburg and Yana Morar's 6-2 win on court two came just minutes before Kimberley Koerner and Liz Williams wrapped up the third doubles match with a 6-2 win of their own. when the Highlanders (8-7, 3-3) took doubles on court three, 6-2.
The Bucs won the top five singles matches in two sets. Williams won her first set 6-0 and her opponent forfeited following that set. Tyler Kirk finished up a 6-2, 6-0 win on court five shortly before van Rensburg won 6-1, 6-1 on court four. Morar's 6-3, 6-4 win on court three and Pyritz's 6-2, 6-3 win on court two followed Savannah State's only win of the day on court six.
Charleston So. 6, Savannah State 1
1. WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) def. Sofia Shut'ko (SSUW) 6-0, won by forfeit
2. PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. Sansriti Ranjan (SSUW) 6-2, 6-3
3. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) def. Muskaan Ranjan (SSUW) 6-3, 6-4
4. VAN RENSBURG, Femcke (CSU-W) def. Ekaterina Vorobeva (SSUW) 6-1, 6-1
5. KIRK, Tyler (CSU-W) def. Christy Turner (SSUW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Casi Gilbert (SSUW) def. WALDRON, Grace (CSU-W) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0
1. MAN, Madalina/PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. Sofia Shut'ko/Ekaterina Vorobeva (SSUW) 6-3
2. VAN RENSBURG, Femcke/MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) def. Muskaan Ranjan/Christy Turner (SSUW) 6-2
3. KOERNER, Kimberley/WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) def. Sansriti Ranjan/Casi Gilbert (SSUW) 6-2
Match Notes: Savannah State 1-12 Charleston So. 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,4,6,3,2)
News & Notes
- Pyritz and Williams have now won three singles matches this week.
- Kirk, van Rensburg, and Morar won their first matches of the 2019 season.
- Van Rensburg and Morar won their third match of the week as a doubles team
The Buccaneers will host Delaware on Tuesday at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex. First serve is set for 1:00pm.