CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern fell 6-1 to Winthrop in the season's finale regular season match on Wednesday afternoon.
The Buccaneers (8-10, 5-4) lost the doubles on courts one and three to Winthrop (13-7, 9-0). The Eagles won 6-3 on the top court before taking the third court 6-2. Filippa Ericson and Kimberley Koerner were leading 4-3 on court two when their match was halted.
The Eagles won singles on the top two courts with Ericson falling 6-3, 6-0 to Alisa Soloveva and Madalina Man dropped her match to No. 51 Lauren Procter 6-2, 6-4. Winthrop clinched their win with a 7-6, 6-3 victory on court three that was followed shortly after by a three set win on court four (3-6, 6-3, 6-0).
The Bucs took Winthrop to three sets on the lower three courts, with Koerner falling 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 on court six and Tiffany Pyritz taking the final singles match 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 on court five to help the Bucs avoid the sweep.
WINTHROP 6, Charleston So. 1
1. #51 PROCTOR, Lauren (WIN) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-2, 6-4
2. SOLOVEVA, Alisa (WIN) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-3, 6-0
3. KAUFFMAN, Megan (WIN) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 7-6, 6-3
4. SANTOS, Rafaela (WIN) def. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. VAN ECK, Tayla (WIN) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. BURNS, Ellie (WIN) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
1. #56 PROCTOR, Lauren/KAUFFMAN, Megan (WIN) def. MAN, Madalina/PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) 6-3
2. ERICSON, Filippa/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) vs. SOLOVEVA, Alisa/SANTOS, Rafaela (WIN) 4-3, unfinished
3. VAN ECK, Tayla/BURNS, Ellie (WIN) def. MORAR, Yana/VAN RENSBURG, Femcke (CSU-W) 6-2
WINTHROP 13-7 (9-0)
Charleston So. 8-10 (5-4)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,3,4,6,5)
News & Notes
- Pyritz won her final three Big South singles matches in a row.
- She finished tied for best conference record with Man at 7-2.
The Buccaneers will be either the four or five seed in the Big South Championship next week hosted by Radford. They'll face either Gardner-Webb or Radford in the quarterfinals at noon on Wednesday, April 17th.