ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Charleston Southern fell to UNC Asheville in straight sets in a Big South match on Saturday at the Justice Center, 25-16, 25-15, 25-13.
CSU falls to 7-13, 2-4 following the loss, while UNC Asheville improves to 8-9, 4-2 with the win. Kylie Klein led the Bucs offensively with eight kills and Addison Kaderli had six kills for CSU. Madison Martin led the defensive efforts with nine digs.
The Bulldogs got off to a quick start and led 7-3 in the first set after a defensive error by the Bucs. The match was tied 11-11 before UNC Asheville won five straight points to take a 16-11 lead. A kill by Klein cut the lead to 21-15, but the Bulldogs won four of the next five points to close the first set.
UNC Asheville led 11-5 in the second set following a kill by KK Haley. Big South Freshman of the Week Kalysia Bates had a kill for CSU to trim the lead to 13-8. The Bulldogs then won five of the next six points to take an 18-9 lead on an attack error by the Bucs. CSU closed the margin to 22-15, but UNC Asheville won the next three points to take the second set.
CSU led 8-7 in the third set after an attack error by Haley. The Bulldogs held a 12-10 lead and scored eight straight points to take a 20-10 lead on a service ace by Haley. A kill by Kaderli made the deficit for CSU 23-13, but UNC Asheville won the next two points to close the set and the match.
Inside the Numbers
- Rachel Smith led Charleston Southern with eleven assists.
- Kylie Klein led the Bucs with eight kills and two blocks.
- Madison Martin had nine digs to end her streak of ten straight matches with double-digit digs.
News and Notes
- CSU has now lost two straight Big South matches.
- The Bucs lost to UNC Asheville for the first time since 2015.
- Charleston Southern continues to be among the league leaders with 16.01 digs per set.
CSU returns to action when it travels to Gardner-Webb for match on Friday, Oct. 13. The Bucs then play at Liberty on Saturday, Oct. 14.