Rock Hill, S.C. – Charleston Southern fell in straight sets to Winthrop on Tuesday in a Big South match at the Winthrop Coliseum, 25-18, 25-18, 25-19.
CSU falls to 8-17, 3-8 following the loss, while Winthrop improves to 14-11, 5-6 with the win. Hannah Western led CSU with six kills, while Kalysia Bates added five kills offensively. Madison Martin led the team defensively with 13 digs.
Winthrop jumped out to an early 12-5 lead in the first set. The Eagles led 15-9 following a kill by Marion Vaucher. The Bucs scored five points in a row to cut the lead to 15-14 on a kill by Brooke Monssen. Three straight kills by Winthrop put the Eagles back in front 18-14. A Kylie Klein kill trimmed the lead to 20-18, but Winthrop scored five points in a row to win the first set.
The second set was tied 9-9 following another Klein kill. The Eagles then won six straight points to take a 15-9 lead on a kill by Vaucher. The Bucs cut the lead to 18-14 after an Addison Kaderli kill. A Winthrop attack error made the score 22-18 until the Eagles won three points in a row to close the set and take a 2-0 lead.
Charleston Southern opened the third set on fire and led 9-3 following a Klein kill. The Bucs led 10-5, but four straight points by Winthrop narrowed the margin to 10-9. The Eagles took a 15-13 lead, but CSU scored four of the next five points to regain a 17-16 lead. Winthrop then scored five points in a row to take a 21-17 lead and the Eagles never looked back on their way to claim the set and the match.
Inside the Numbers
· Rachel Smith had eight digs and 17 assists for the Bucs. She sits in eighth place all-time at CSU with 1,691 career assists.
· Madison Martin has recorded double-digit digs in 15 of the last 16 matches for Charleston Southern.
· Kalysia Bates had three blocks to lead the Bucs in blocks for the second straight match.
News and Notes
· Charleston Southern is now two matches behind Winthrop for sixth place in the Big South standings.
· The Bucs will play the Eagles again on Oct. 31 at the Buc Dome.
· CSU has dropped six of its last seven Big South matches.
· The Bucs fell in straight sets for the fourth time this season in Big South action.
CSU returns to action when it hosts UNC Asheville for Senior Night on Friday, Oct. 27 at 7 p.m. The Bucs will be honoring seniors Kylie Klein and Siraya Windsor at the Buc Dome on Friday prior to the match with the Bulldogs.