CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern got out to a fast start and won the first set, but a career night by UNC Asheville's Cara Guthrie helped the Bulldogs win the next three sets to claim the match, 22-25, 25-22, 25-23, 25-16.
CSU (8-18, 3-9) was led by Brooke Monssen with 14 kills and Kylie Klein with ten kills. Madison Martin had 22 digs and Skylar Blackmon had a career-high 19 digs for the Bucs. UNC Asheville (10-13, 6-6) was led by Guthrie with a season-high 23 kills and a career-high 26 digs.
The Bulldogs jumped out to an 8-6 lead in the first set, but a Rachel Smith service ace capped off seven straight points for CSU and gave the Bucs a 13-8 lead. UNC Asheville trimmed the lead to 16-14 on an attack error by CSU. The Bucs then won four points in a row to take a 20-14 lead. The Bulldogs cut the lead to two, but never came closer as CSU took the first set on a kill by Klein.
Charleston Southern grabbed an 8-5 lead in the second set on an attack error by the Bulldogs. UNC Asheville then won five straight points to hold a 10-8 lead. The set was tied 15-15 following an Addison Kaderli kill. With the score tied 18-18, the Bulldogs won five of the next six points to lead 23-19 on a kill by Guthrie. The Bucs narrowed the margin to 24-22 on a Western kill, but UNC Asheville won the next point to close the set and tie the match 1-1.
CSU led the third set 8-5 until the Bulldogs took a 12-11 lead on a service ace by Haley. The lead for UNC Asheville grew to 18-13 following an attack error by the Bucs. CSU fought back and won six of the next seven points to tie the match 19-19. The Bulldogs took a 23-22 lead on a Haley service ace. A Guthrie kill gave UNC Asheville the 25-23 set win and a 2-1 match lead.
A kill by Kailey Hackett put the Bulldogs in front 11-3 in the fourth set. The Bucs chipped away at the lead and trailed 14-9 following an attack error by UNC Asheville. The Bulldogs then won five of the next six points to take a 19-10 lead on a Sheridan Salisbury service ace. A kill by Monssen trimmed the lead to 24-16, but Guthrie closed the match with a kill to give UNC Asheville the win.
Inside the Numbers
- Kylie Klein, who was one of two seniors recognized for the Bucs, had a team-high seven blocks to move into fourth place all-time at CSU with 403 career blocks.
- Rachel Smith had her fourteenth double-double of the season with 11 digs and a match-high 35 assists.
- Madison Martin had double-digit digs for the sixth straight match and moves into a tie with Tricia Rodl for fourth all-time at CSU with 1,396 career digs.
- Brooke Monssen has led Charleston Southern in kills in three of the last five matches.
News and Notes
- CSU has dropped five straight Big South matches with only four matches remaining in the regular season.
- The Bucs lost both matches to the Bulldogs this season after defeating UNC Asheville in both matches in 2016.
- Charleston Southern sits in seventh place in the Big South standings and is 2.5 matches back of Winthrop in sixth place.
CSU returns to action when it hosts Winthrop in the home finale on Tuesday, Oct. 31 at 7 p.m.