Tuesday, October 31
Charleston Southern vs. Winthrop
Buccaneer Field House – Charleston, S.C.
7 p.m. – Big South Network
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern enters the final stretch of Big South Conference play when it hosts Winthrop in the home finale on Tuesday at the Buc Dome. First serve between the Bucs and Eagles is set for 7 p.m.
The Charleston Southern Athletic Department will be holding the third annual "Dress Like a Pirate Contest" for your chance to win a $100 Nike gift card. Enter the standard Halloween costume contest for a chance to win a $50 Nike gift card. There will be free candy for trick-or-treaters of all ages. To enter either contest you must be present at the start of the match. Contest winners will be announced after the second set.
CSU (8-18, 3-9) is coming off a four set defeat to UNC Asheville on Friday, while Winthrop (14-12, 5-7) fell to UNC Asheville in five sets on Saturday. The Eagles previously defeated the Bucs in straight sets on Oct. 24 in Rock Hill, S.C.
With four matches remaining in the regular season, Winthrop has a two-match lead on Charleston Southern for sixth place in the Big South standings. Only the top six teams qualify for the Big South Championship on Nov. 17-19 at Radford.
Hannah Western leads CSU offensively with 2.25 kills per set, while Kylie Klein is averaging 2.21 kills per set. Madison Martin continues to lead the team defensively with 4.67 digs per set. Kalysia Bates ranks first in the league in blocks per set (1.06).
Winthrop is led by Sydney Gunter with 2.83 kills per set and Jace Kleffner with 2.74 kills per set. Carlie Skelton leads the Eagles defensively with 4.26 digs per set. Siani Yamaguchi is second in the Big South in assists per set (10.12) and Keaupono Fey is fourth in the league with 0.95 blocks per set.
Inside the Numbers
- Madison Martin is third in the Big South in digs per set (4.67). She has recorded double-digit digs in 23 of the 26 matches played this season.
- Rachel Smith ranks fourth in the league in assists per set (8.92). She has had a double-double in four of the last six matches.
- Addison Kaderli leads the Bucs in attacks this season (824). She is fifth all-time at CSU with 3,201 career attacks.
News and Notes
- Charleston Southern faces Winthrop for the second time in a seven-day span. The Eagles defeated the Bucs in straight sets on Oct. 24, 25-18, 25-18, 25-19.
- Winthrop has won the last three meetings with CSU. The last time the Bucs defeated the Eagles was in four sets on Oct. 31, 2015.
- This will be the 86th meeting between the two teams. Winthrop holds a 68-17 lead over the Buccaneers in the all-time series.
- The last win for CSU at home was on Sep. 30 in five sets over Presbyterian.
Charleston Southern returns to action when it travels to play at league-leader High Point on Friday, Nov. 3. The Bucs then play at Radford on Saturday, Nov. 4.