CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern captivated the crowd in the Buccaneer Field House for their exhibition match against West Virginia State on Friday night as the Buccaneers topped the Yellow Jackets in straight sets, 25-17, 25-17, 25-18.
The Bucs hit .290 as a team in their lone preseason match leading up to next weekend's opener at the Western Carolina Tournament. Addison Kaderli led the Bucs with 13 kills and added a pair of block assists, while Rachel Smith completed the double-double with 35 assists and 11 digs over the three-set match. Madison Martin added 17 digs to pace the Bucs' backline.
CSU jumped ahead early in the first set scoring five of the first six points of the match with Skylar Blackmon putting in an ace to give the Bucs the 5-1 lead. The Bucs later utilized a 5-0 run midway through the set in building a 19-9 lead on their way to coasting to the first set win.
The Bucs took control of the second frame midway through the contest following a Rachel Smith kill giving CSU the 10-6 lead. Addison Kaderli added four kills over a 10-4 run to put the Bucs ahead by double-digits at 20-10 on their way to securing the 25-17 victory and 2-0 lead.
CSU broke open a 6-6 tie in the third set following Hannah Western's first kill of the frame. The kill spurred an 11-5 run capped by a Macey LaPorte kill that swung the set firmly in the Bucs' favor. West Virginia State forestalled a CSU win late in the frame and cut the lead down to four points at 20-16 following a pair of Jenna Dufresne kills. LaPorte, Demuth, and Smith all connected on points for the Bucs late before Madison Malloch put the final kill home to secure the CSU sweep.
Inside the Numbers
- Skylar Blackmon was in midseason form from the service line as the sophomore defensive specialist led the Bucs with four service aces in the match.
- Addison Kaderli recorded 12 of her team-high 13 kills in the first two sets on her way to hitting .423 from the floor in the match.
- Hannah Western led the Bucs with four kills in the final third set and was one of two CSU hitters to go without an attack error on the day in her 19 attempts.
- Charleston Southern hit at least .286 in all three sets in the match, while the Bucs' defense limited the Yellow Jackets to a .130 team hitting percentage.
News & Notes
- Madison Malloch (six kills), Caroline Demuth (five kills), and Ashleigh Holweger (two digs), made their CSU debuts in the exhibition with Malloch lining up after redshirting in 2017, while Demuth and Holweger are both true freshman on the roster.
- Macey LaPorte will once again reprise a key part of CSU's service game as the junior utility player recorded a pair of aces in the contest.
- The Bucs' match against the Yellow Jackets is CSU's lone preseason exhibition prior to the beginning of the season next weekend in Cullowhee, N.C. at the Ramsey Athletic Center.
- CSU is heading into Head Coach Christy Mooberry's sixth season at the helm of the program.
Charleston Southern opens the regular season next weekend on August 24 and 25 at the Western Carolina Tournament. The Bucs will take on Middle Tennessee State, host WCU, and Robert Morris over the two days at the Ramsey Athletic Center in Cullowhee, N.C.