CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern wasted little time dispatching visiting Savannah State on Tuesday night in the Buccaneer Field House. The Buccaneers topped the visiting Lady Tigers, 25-13, 25-13, 25-13, for their third sweep of the season.
CSU (3-1) continues its strong open to the 2018 season as the Bucs limited the Lady Tigers (0-1) to a -.115 hitting percentage in the match. Savannah State struggled in its first match of the season with Tyran Chenault and Noria Ceballos Plaza finishing with four kills apiece in the loss.
Madison Malloch posted her third consecutive double-digit kill performance in CSU's three-set win. The redshirt freshman connected on 10 kills in her 15 attacks and hit .667 from the floor in the win. Addison Kaderli added eight kills, while Naiomi Rivera posted 23 assists and eight digs. Madison Martin added 13 digs in the win.
CSU and Savannah State battled through five early ties before the Buccaneers took control of the set on Rachel Smith's serve. The junior defensive specialist put in an ace to put the Bucs ahead 12-9. CSU followed with a 10-3 run to go up double-digits on their way to closing out the first set.
Macey LaPorte and Skylar Blackmon combined for five service aces and the Bucs held Savannah State to a -.120 hitting percentage as CSU went up 2-0 following the 25-13 set win. CSU utilized a 10-0 run on LaPorte's serve on their way to building the 20-5 advantage. The Tigers battled back with a pair of Salma Gonzalez aces to cut the lead to 22-13 before the Bucs rallied to secure the win.
Ashleigh Holweger put in a pair of service aces midway through the third frame as the Bucs took the 14-7 lead. CSU continued to apply pressure throughout the remainder of the set with Kaderli connecting on a pair of late kills to seal the win.
Inside the Numbers
- Madison Malloch's 10-kill performance paced the Buccaneers in the match as CSU hit .225 as a team in the win over the Tigers.
- CSU recorded a season-high 13 service aces paced by Macey LaPorte and Ashleigh Holweger's three aces apiece in the match.
- Caitlyn Michalski led the Bucs with a pair of blocks, including a solo block in the third set.
- Hannah Western and Macey LaPorte had four kills apiece in the win.
News & Notes
- Madison Malloch entered the week leading the Big South in hitting percentage at .400; she finished the match with a season hitting percentage of .450.
- Madison Martin's 13 digs marked her third consecutive match with double-digit digs this season.
- Tuesday night's match marked the fourth time this season CSU has hit over .200 as a team from the floor.
Player of the Match – Madison Malloch
Charleston Southern returns to the road on Thursday night for a midweek matchup in Orangeburg, S.C. against South Carolina State. First serve between the Bucs and the Bulldogs is set for 6 p.m. in Dukes Gymnasium.