CHARLESTON, S.C. – After a 13-day hiatus, Charleston Southern opened Big South play Friday night in a 3-2 (25-17, 31-33, 17-25, 26-24, 15-9) loss to preseason No. 3 Campbell.
Campbell (3-8, 1-0 Big South) saw a career performance from freshman Sarah Colla who collected 35 kills to help the Camels overcome a stingy Charleston Southern (5-4, 0-1 Big South) defense that collected a season-best 13 blocks while holding Campbell to a .148 hitting mark.
The trio of Madison Malloch, Brooke Monssen and Hannah Western combined for 39 kills, 13 digs and 11 blocks for CSU. Friday was the season debut for Monssen who collected 13 kills, three digs and three block assists in the loss.
Meanwhile, Western collected her 500th career kill and third double-double in as many matches behind 11 kills and 10 digs.
How It Happened
- Campbell took the first set 25-19 Sarah Colla set the pace for the night with six kills on her way to a career-best 35.
- CSU responded with a 33-31 win in set to seize the momentum and take the third set 25-17. The 33-31 second set was the longest played by the Bucs this season and was the first to go past the regulation 25 score.
- In the second set, Monssen and Malloch came alive with seven kills each as the Bucs hit .200 – their best mark of the night.
- Campbell responded taking the final two sets 26-24 and 15-9 as Colla sealed the match with 16 kills over the final two sets.
Inside the Numbers
- Monssen started her junior season with a strong night collecting 13 kills and three blocks. She finished the night third on the team with a .182 hitting percentage.
- The 33-31 second set was by far the longest set CSU has played this season. The 26-24 fourth set was just the second to go past the 25-mark threshold.
- After playing just 29 sets entering Big South play, CSU has played all four and five-set matches since sweeping Savannah State on Aug. 28 at home – a streak of five matches.
- Charleston Southern still sits among the top of the Big South in defense after holding Campbell to a .148 mark Friday night. CSU held Campbell below .200 in four of the five sets.
News and Notes
- Senior outside hitter Hannah Western collected her 500th career kill in the fourth set as she entered the night just 10 from the milestone mark.
- Madison Martin continued her second-best mark in the Big South in digs as she added 18 Friday night. That extended her streak to eight-straight matches with double-digit digs.
- Naiomi Rivera collected 45 assists as she has five-straight matches with 30-plus helpers and three of her past five have seen 40-plus.
- Addison Kaderli keeps pushing towards the 1,000 kills mark as she now sits at 960 in her career.
- Friday was the seventh time in the past eight matches Madison Malloch has reached 10-plus kills.
Charleston Southern wraps their Big South-opening weekend inside the Buc Dome as conference newcomer Hampton visits for a 2 p.m. match.