CHARLESTON, S.C. – Senior defensive specialist Madison Martin became the program's all-time digs leader Tuesday night, but CSU volleyball fell 3-0 (25-23, 25-16, 25-19) to UNC Asheville.
Charleston Southern (10-10, 5-7 Big South) was led offensively by Brooke Monssen's 11 kills and Hannah Western's 10, but a close first set swung the momentum towards UNC Asheville (11-1, 6-6 Big South), who then took the next two for the regular season sweep.
Martin only needed two digs to break the previous record as she finished the night with 14 for a team-best mark. Sophomore Skylar Blackmon added 10 as six different athletes had five-plus digs in the loss.
UNC Asheville got a strong offensive night from Cara Guthrie, who had a match-high 17 kills while the Bulldogs hit .235 to CSU's .130.
How It Happened
- UNC Asheville took the first set 25-23 after CSU had a 20-16 lead. CSU held a five-point advantage early (9-4) while the Bulldogs held a lead as large as three.
- Hannah Western and Brooke Monssen led the Bucs with four first-set kills while Martin collected her record-breaking dig.
- The Bulldogs took the second set 25-16 despite hitting just .176 as CSU was held to -.026. Monssen had three kills as she turned in 11 on the night.
- Senior outside hitter Hannah Western had five kills in the final set while Monssen added four. Western hit .444, but the Bucs had a .122 percentage as a whole.
News and Notes
- Madison Martin passed Carrie O'Connell Tuesday night for all-time digs breaking the previous record of 1,833. Martin's 14 give her 1,846 with four regular season matches and the Big South Tournament to add on.
- Since splitting duties with Rachel Smith, Ashleigh Holweger has 15-plus assists in three of the past four matches.
- Macey LaPorte matched her season-high with three service aces to lead the Bucs with two coming in the opening frame.
CSU ends their home slate with a big weekend as Winthrop comes to town Friday and Gardner-Webb invades the Buc Dome Saturday on Senior Day. Friday's match will be on ESPN+ while Saturday's has been moved up to ESPN3. First serve Friday is 6 p.m. and Saturday is 4 p.m.