CHARLESTON, S.C. – Backed by their best hitting percentage since the season opener, Charleston Southern volleyball took down Gardner-Webb 3-1 (25-16, 25-14, 21-25, 25-14) Saturday for a crucial Big South win.
The .277 mark as a unit was the best performance offensively for CSU (11-11, 6-8 Big South) since a .333 mark to open the season. CSU hit at least .190 in three of the four sets including .314 in the second and .536 in the clinching frame.
Senior outside hitter Addison Kaderli turned in 12 to lead the Buccaneer offense while collecting four digs and a block. Classmate Madison Martin had a team and match-high 19 digs as well as two service aces and five assists. Meanwhile, Hannah Western hit .333 with eight kills, five digs and three blocks.
Junior setter/defensive specialist Rachel Smith had a match-high 35 assists and 10 digs as well as season-best six kills.
Gardner-Webb (7-20, 1-13 Big South) was led offensively by Kylee Garrison's 10 kills and Charissa Coleman's 14 digs.
How It Happened
- CSU's defense dug their heels in early forcing Gardner-Webb to hit -.146 in the opening frame and just .026 in the second. That early defense helped CSU hold the Runnin' Bulldogs to just .072 across the full match.
- Madison Martin 10-dig performance in the opening frame set the tone defensively as Addison Kaderli and Madison Malloch had three kills each and Rachel Smith added six assists. CSU only hit .097 to begin the match, but their counterpart Runnin' Bulldogs had 12 errors and just six kills.
- After falling behind 16-15, CSU closed the set on a 10-0 run then took the first three points of the second for a match-high 13-point swing.
- Brooke Monssen headlined the attack with four second-set kills while Malloch and Hannah Western turned in three each.
- Gardner-Webb got a set back behind Kylee Garrison's seven kills, leading a Runnin' Bulldog attack that hit .385 and cut the match to 2-1.
- CSU then clinched the match and moved back into a tie with Campbell in the standings behind their best offensive frame of the day.
- Addison Kaderli had five kills, Madison Malloch and Hannah Western turned in three each and the tandem of Caitlyn Michalski and Brooke Monssen had two apiece. CSU hit .536 in the clinching thanks to 16 kills and just one error. Monssen turned in four digs and Rachel Smith adding 13 assists.
News and Notes
- The senior class of Addison Kaderli, Madison Martin and Hannah Western end their CSU home careers with a win as well as a 6-4 home record this season.
- Saturday marked the fourth-straight win over Gardner-Webb and the third consecutive in a 3-1 decision.
- Madison Martin now sits just over 100 digs from 2,000 over her career. She currently sits among the top-10 in Big South history in digs as well as digs per set.
- Addison Kaderli is just 28 kills from sixth all-time at CSU and is 37 attacks from 4,000.
- Hannah Western is on pace for career-highs in hitting percentage (.246), blocks per set (0.70) and service aces (20).
CSU closes the regular season with two huge matches at Hampton and Campbell. Friday's match against the Pirates is set for 7 p.m. and Saturday's finale is slated for 4 p.m. on ESPN+.